Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DaleC

question for Sam, conventional to hydro

DaleC
Sam I have a B-12 and have thought about making something not around, a HB-12. Have you ever done that. If I understand part of your delima on going from vickers to sunstrand, controls are one of the issues. Could I do it if I found. . .what?

SmilinSam
IN Simpletractors thereare two articles in the do it yourself section titles Variable to Hydro #1 and VAriable to Hydro #2. There are Kent and my conversion projects of a B-112 and a B-210. Those articles are very thoruogh in pictures and explanation. No one as yet has tried to convert a B-10 type or B-12 short frame gear drive to a hydro successfully and post an article. I have looked into it and have ideas, but it would be very tough to engineer and have the tractor look semi-original due to the fact that the hydro rear end assemblies are longer than the older 3 speed tractors from the bevel gear box back. Also another problem is the B-12 type feders and seat deck will not close down over the Hydro assemblies as the Hydro assemblied stick up alot higher than the 3 speeds. My latest take on the potential conversion would be to use a Jacobsen or Gilson (basically the same) rear end and hdro unit form a mid 80's machine and transplant it into the Older B series tractor. The only problem I see is not having a bevel gear box and thus not being able to run any center or rear pto attachments off the tractor. One could still run blades, snowblower, and a loader, or rear plow. No PTO available for a mower deck or tiller. Its a project I'd like to engineer this winter sometime if I get caught up.

DaleC
Sam, Do you know if the seat clearance issue of over a couple of inches. If so, why not raise the seat. I have never been one that let "hard" keep me from trying. I take it that you are the same. I want to be able to mow, etc so the BGB is a must.

SmilinSam
Well, the seat isn't somuch the problem as it would be the seat deck. Bolting the bevel gear box and Hyrdo rear end up to a B-12 would be easy. fabricating the control lever into the B-12 would also not be a terribly difficult task either. The problems come when dealing with the fact that the tractor will now be 3-4" longer and the original seat deck will no longer be long enough nor will it close down on the hydro rear end to where it is supposed to sit. A person could just use the one piece pan type seat deck like on the B-112 /B-212 , but then you defeat the purpose of having the tractor look original.