Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cart cover

TimJr

Has anyone ever had a canvas cover made for a Simplicity dump cart? My original cover is pretty tattered, and I don't know if I can get a new one (if so, $$$$). I was wondering if anyone had someone make one, and about how much. I will try to talk to some canvas repair guys in my area and see if they will do it and how much.

I've never had a cover for my cart, but if I was going to have one made, I'd check with shops that make boat tops/covers and car tops. You might be able to just find a tarp about the right size and add a few tie-down hooks, then use some bungee cords or a rope to keep it in place.

Using the correct fabric, my local shops wanted 2-3 times more to make a cover properly than I could buy OEM from Simplicity.

Dutch, is there some special sort of fabric? I looked at mine, it looks like canvas that's kind of fuzzed up on the inside. I thought it was just from the leaves and stuff beating against it.....

Dutch I thought you had a cover on a vacuum cart, made of plywood. I have this same problemo. The B110 came w/all the vacuum stuff except the cover. Was thinking of using your?? idea and making a supported 1/4 plywood (luan) type cover. Maybe urethane covered, or some marine coating inside. Would think it would last 1/2 of forever. Silly me huh?

I saw a vac cart once here in KY that was made of plywood. I was more like a silage wagon. Huge! Half again the size of the 50 bushel cart. It had a vent covered with screen wire on the side toward the front. Vent was about 18" square. Never saw it work but it had had plenty of use. The entire back would lift out to unload. It was on a very large estate type looking piece of property. I am going to try that concept when I get a vac.

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
Dutch, is there some special sort of fabric? I looked at mine, it looks like canvas that's kind of fuzzed up on the inside. I thought it was just from the leaves and stuff beating against it.....
Kirk, My original "Conestoga Wagon" cart cover fabric was a "see through" screen type mesh. The OEM replacement is basically the same but a slightly different material and a different color. My original "Lift Off" cart cover was a dense canvas. The OEM replacement is also a dense canvas but has a 5"x24" "spline" of a different fabric. Even brand new, the inside is "fuzzed up."

If any of the canvas shops here will give me a price, I will pass it on. I want to keep it looking original, and working as well as original. The plywood makes storage too difficult - the canvas pops off, and hangs on the wall - no tools even. My cover is yellow, but I have seen a green one also. It seems like a type of canvas, and it is also fuzzy inside - I also assumed it to be from abrasion. Maybe the biggest reason for wanting to keep this style is the way people look at it when they drive by - all billowed up - looks weird to the uninformed I'm sure. Tim

quote:
Originally posted by andy gartner
Dutch I thought you had a cover on a vacuum cart, made of plywood.
Andy, I think you mean a different "all purpose" large cart that I built that is a flat bed with removable plywood sides and a removeable screen top for vacuum use.