Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

616 Repower.

Al

Hi, We are working on the 616 re-power. We are working at putting a Koh Command 25 in it. We have had a twin cam set in, and in many ways it would be an easier job. The Command fan housing hits the clutch pulley and the frame in front. It is going to require a different clutch. It is our desire to get the extra hp in this tractor if possible. It is not going to be a simple job. After it is in there are still the problems of sealing the fan housing off so all of the intake air comes through the trans cooler. Also the heat problems under the hood. The Onan pulley won't work. Since we are working with the AC hood, does any body know if the 9020 hood is at least as wide and deep as the AC hood. Does it have the inner panel on the top for the Onan air intake? Before we are done with this we are going to have to find a 9020 hood to check these things out. The muffler/battery heat/clearance problems will probably require some heat shield/ducting, with the fuel pump in the valve cover up inside the hood, air flow will need to be addressed to prevent vapor lock problems in hot climates. I hope when this is finished that the performance of the 25 and its better charging system etc will be worth the effort. This is becoming one of the most difficult re-powers we have attempted. In discussing it with factory service, they have no info of anyone doing it yet. Will keep you advised of the progress, it will slow as we get into spring. Al

I was just wondering why you woudn't cosnsider the Onan P220G performer engine. I have both the CCKB's and the P220G's and they seem very much alike. Just wondering. Floydster

Kohler is more readily available and easier to get parts for through local dealer distribution. They are also widely being used on commercial equipment. There were problems a few years ago - I am not aware of any current ones.