Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

noisy lifter, Kohler command single

tej

Saturday I fired up my tractor (Simplicity Broadmoor) and there was a big noise from the engine (knocking) I guess it was a lifter as the Kohler Command has hydraulic lifters. Eventually it quieted down after running the engine for a few (~3) minutes. In total I ran the engine for ~5 mins on Saturday. What bugs me about it is that I ran the tractor last week (just to take it out of the garage and wash it), and there was no such noise. (even at start up) Previously to the last week, the tractor had sat for ~5 weeks or so. I say this because I would have expected the lifters to bleed down while it was sitting for 5 weeks as opposed to one week. Any thoughts on this one? The engine has ~150 hrs of usage and I have meticulously maintained it. The only things I did (after washing it the previous week) was to change the fuel fiter (was 2 yrs old) and the spark plug (was one year old) Any insight would be appreciated. I'm selling this unit to my father and certainly don't want him to have missed expectations of this unit. Mark in Maryland (Change oil, after running Gunk motor flush and getting engine hot????? The oil inside the engine was changed in the fall.)

O.K. I know what you are talking about. What was the weather temperature outside the first time you started it and the sencond time you started it? Some times when it is cold the motor will make that noise until the engine oil gets warm then the noise will dissaper. Also in the fall what kind of oil did you put in it? the noise could also be caused by that. You should use sae 30 oil when it is warm outside and 5 W 30 when cold. please tell me if this helps. -Brad

Actually the Kohler Command requires multi-grade 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer - straight 30HD is not recommended and will make the valves sound a lot louder.

When I changed the oil in the fall, I put in regular 10W40 automotive oil. Ive ran the tractor a few times over the winter, when the temp was colder than it was last Saturday. The machine is always garaged, so the temp inside the garage doesnt get below 50degrees. I suppose I'll change the oil to 5W30 and the oil filter as well. When I change the oil do I run the engine to get it hot? Although its cold, since the tractor has been sitting, all the oil is in the block. If the goal is to get the old oil out, wouldnt that be the best way to change it? I wanna avoid running the engine at all until I figger this out. Mark in Maryland

The lifter noise is normal as long as it does go away after 3-4 minutes. It depends on where the vavles come to rest after the engine is turned off - if one is open, the pressure from the valve spring may empty the lifter's high pressure chamber causing "bleed down". This info is right from Kohler. I would use 10W30 oil. Run the engine 5-10 minutes or longer to warm it up. You're correct in that it will flow much better this way. Put a rag under the oil filter to help catch some leakage before removing it. Keep another rag handy in case you get some hot oil on yourself - it will not feel good! Fill the oil filter at least half way before installing. Fill crankcase to mark on dipstick, run a minute, recheck and fill oil to level, sit back and have a cold one. :)