Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leaves

papamerkle

How do you take care of the leaves,pine cones/straw, and whatever else that falls out of your trees?I have a bagger and and multching system for my Landlord and just a multching system for my Broadmoor.I pefer to multch, but some of my customers want there leaves pickup.

I bag them all up and burn them. I like to have a clean lawn before winter, it makes for much less work in the spring when I dethatch my lawn. Ryan

I take the organic approach. I got some old skids, stood them up to form a 3 sided box, and held them together with wire. The 4th side is only held with 1 piece of wire so it can be easily removed. I put about 12 inches of leaves (I use a shredder) then about 4 inches of manure. I get the manure from a local stable. Continue this layering till the "box"is full. In 3 or 4 weeks remove the side held with 1 piece of wire and turn the stuff into another "box". I have 4 "boxes" wired together and just make an assembly line out of it. In a couple of months you have some good stuff for the garden. Sorry this note is so long, I get carried away..

For the past 5 years my father has been spring tilling leaves into the fall plowed garden. Put them on in the fall, till in the spring. The clay has become fantastic soil in a short time!