Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Reverse Problems w/Simplicity 3410H Hydro

My 3410H, which is about 27 years old as far as I can tell, lacks "drive" or power in reverse. On the least incline it lacks the power to back up, period. On perfectly flat ground it's better, but not the way is should be. Forward works just fine.

Late last summer I carefully adjusted the linkage between the control quandrant and the hydro mechanism, and was able to see some improvement in reverse. The down side was the neutral position on the quandrant was now off center (from the detent) quite a bit.

Essentially, I either have some reverse or an off-center control quandrant. Frankly, being a bit of a perfectionist, neither option appeals to me much.

I'm wondering if anywone has suggestions on what might be required to correct both issues.

Thanks...

One other observation... Once the tractor gets going in reverse it builds up speed and works fine. It's just getting it started that's the problem.

Thanks to everyone who replied. There are a number of items suggested that I intend to investigate and try.

I don't know what brand the hydro unit is. I do know there are no buttons on the top, the towing bypass is activated by a vertical rod that moves vertically. I have to clean the unit up good before I can get a better look at it.

Thanks again, everyone!

Kelly

"I fixed a JD 140 that wouldn't go forward by unscrewing the check valves and cleaning them up"

Though I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, I know nothing about these hydro units.

Therefore, I'm showing my ignorance however, I gotta ask... Where on the unit might I find the "check valves"? Are they located together on the assembly and are they easily removed?

Thanks...

Kelly,
That model has a Vickers, I believe. If it has vertical fins on the pump (input) section, it's a Vickers. If it has radial fins on the top of the pump, it's a Sundstrand. Sorry I misspoke about the freewheel valve, I was thinking of the 'inline' version of the T-66 as on my New Holland.
Fred

It could be the reverse valve on the hydro. The two buttons you push down to free wheel the tractor, one is the forward valve the other is the reverse. This valve could be partially hung up. This valves can be removed from the unit and cleaned up without any other disassembly. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Kelly, that 3410H is a 990757 Landlord with a Vickers hydro, isn't it? If it is, the towing valve is a knob on the side, not two buttons on the top. (No offense, Mike, but I think you're talking about the Sundstrand.) On the Vickers' linkage the only adjustment is the hex turnbuckle for neutral, right? If that doesn't do it, try disconnecting the linkage from the quadrant and shoving it all the way toward reverse, against the brakes, to see if it will make power in reverse. NOTE: This must be done with the tractor securely up on jack stands, preferably with the rear wheels off, and don't get hung up in anything moving. BE SAFE! Usually a hydro will work equally well both forward and reverse. If it won't, it might be the reverse check valve. Keep talking, someone here will help you figure it out.
Fred

I have a 1970 HB212 with Vickers and a '74 712 H with the Sundstrand, my neighbor has a 3414H Baron with the Sundstrand. I assumed the 3400 series were all Sundstrand. Even if you can't get full stroke to the swash plate (full movement on linkage) the tractor should still back up, not fast, but it should not stall out. I fixed a JD 140 that wouldn't go forward by unscrewing the check valves and cleaning them up. Good Luck. Mike S.

Kelly, First check that the roll pin in the trunion that goes into hydro is not sheared. Jack trac. up and turn turnbuckle so you have good rev, Your going to notice forward speed will slow down a bit, it's a compromise deal. Once you are satisfied with speeds then put lever in neut. so wheels don't turn either way. Now turn trac off and adjust neutral start switch lever it's slotted so that it depresses switch and presto your in business! Happy Motoring!! DLC

Kelly it sounds like you have the Vickers hydro and not the Sunstrand. I have experienced problems with my Vickers (HB212) under heavy load and found the drive belt was slipping (it was only 23 years old ---) I changed it and everything has worked fine since. Just another thought. --mike--