Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblade Hitch Beefup

MPH

Decided to beef up the hitch 'nose' on my snowblade today. It was squeezed together about 1/4 inch, which made it rather sloopy. Started with 1 in strap iron, ground it down to 7/8 to match the back of the'nose'.

after I tacked the cross piece in, I filled the outter 'nose' with another piece, which I tacked on one end, then heated up to bend it to match orginal shape of nose.

My hardsufacing weld job wasn't much to brag about on the wearplate. Hard stuff to hold an arc with for a nailpounder.

currrently undergoing corrostion control...MPH

Marty, ;)Try a search on google for Stoody hardfacing rods. I had some years back that were non machinable and would be great for the bottom of your cutting edge. They were funky rods, like flux coated tubes. It comes to mind it was (sp)borium, or something like that inside. Whatever they were, the abraision resistance was really awsome. [V]I think they were DC only though, so won't work if you have an AC buzz box. Hitch looks good man. :DAnd it's great to see your saftey glasses on the bench, protectin those nuts and washer!!! So very thoughtful of you. hehehe

Getting them nuts and washers back to thier proper home is getting closer to the top of my list Joe, tired of protecting them. My welder is AC only, think it was made before the name 'buzz box' was created though...MPH

Marty, ;)Check anyway, they most likely made something for AC too. I get a chance tomorrow or later, I'll see what I can find. :DThe ones they recommended for me were unbelieveable. I used them on the pole augers for the telephone co.. They went from every 5 or 6 months on build up to over a year. Kinda cut my own throat on that, but they loved me and gave me more work than I could handle at times.