Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Single Stage? Two Stage? What is the difference.

DaleC

I have never owned a snow thrower. . . except for the kind with a Handle! What is the difference between single and two stage and which is the better. How do they work? I always assumed that two was better than one, but what do I know?

A single stage thrower has just the auger and the snow is ejected by the force of the center flat section of the auger. A two stage has the aguer feeding the snow into an impeller which throws it. That's where it gets the second stage. I've heard of a supposed "three stage" blower but the third stage was just another auger mounted higher up for cutting banks with. I've never seen one, but I think that description is fairly accurate....

I have seen three-stage blowers on some larger, later model walk behinds, but not for a garden tractor. They are most common on larger farm equipment. Here is a photo of an Erskine three-stage:

Pat

As far as Simplicity tractor mount blowers are concerned, the "intelligence" that I have gathered states that the two stage will blow snow slightly farther than the single stage, but it is not worth the extra power it takes. There are other brands of tractor mount single stages that are not worth a hoot, and actually give tractor mount blowers a bad reputation. There are dealers and others out there who will say don't use a tractor mount, go with a walk behind. After using a Simplicity tractor mount, this is VERY stupid advice. The tractor mount is just SO much faster it is a pitiful comparison, esp. when the wind is blowing and you can only travel(throwing) in one direction. Just hit the hydro in reverse and you fly back to where you started. If fact with light snows a blade is faster than the blower as it is much less clumbersome. I would only recomend a walk behind blower if you have a very small driveway, where the distance back to start is less than 100 feet.

I can understand how a two stage would work. I saw on for an Mtd just a couple week ago in someonesyard. I am still lost on how a single could work. Are there any pictures someone may have?

Here is an AC/Simplicity single stage tractor mount snowblower that is currently on e-Bay:

The auger spins very fast, down in front and up in back. The paddles in the center of the auger throw the snow out of the chute. Pat

How many rpm is this auger turning. It must be high. Is vibration a problem? Check the caption on the picture. I meant to put a ? mark at the end, but is that correct?

I have used a tractor mounted Snowblower for over 30 years I have used both single-stage and two-stage Simplicity blowers, a Bolens and Toro single-stage. The Bolens was good but not great as was the Toro. Between the Simplicity Single-stage and the Simplicity two-stage the single-stage will run circles around the two-stage. The simplicity two stage might be able to blow the light fluffy stuff further but that is the only advantage it has over the single-stage blower. The single-stage will handle the hard packed and wet heavy stuff a lot better and throw it further. If you pick up a small stone with the two-stage it will break shear pins. The single stage will throw anything that will fit through the chute, rocks, bricks, pieces of steel. It will also make 25 short lengths out of a 50' hose or extension cord. No shear pins to break. There is nothing that will blow snow in its class or even a few out of it's class like a Simplicity single stage blower. I ran a 42" single-stage blower on a 7016 and my present 7790. The two-stage was on a 20hp Sunstar

When you say impeller, you are talking about the auger, right. So the Auger is turning at 1250 rpm. That is moving and yes I would say that it would do a job on 50 FT of hose in a hurry.

Dale, We very rarely sell any 2 stage blowers. Our dealership is in WI and we used to see our fair share of snow. In the 12+ years I have been there I have never had a complaint about a Simplicity single stage blower. All of the above posts hit the nail right on the head. Extremely efficient and VERY reliable.

Just look at Kent's sno-throwing pics with his[''small block''??lol] trac.and single stage blower and you decide!,Good description on grinding up stuff with them Maynard haa,I agree they are just designed better/stronger than the rest,,.for a 300' driveway/with turn-around area like we have they are prob just as fast as doing it with a pickup/plow?,,dunno.

One year we got a good 20+" dump of heavy snow. My neighbors truck and snowplow couldn't get out his driveway. I saved him with my HB212 and single stage snowthrower.

UCD the front is pictured above and this is the hitch. Thank You, Just relized you answered my question on the ebay page. I wasn't sure anyone would see it being on the third page, but after posting the message it jumped to the first page front and center. Thanks again for all your help. John