Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigcountry

Overfill on oil

bigcountry
This Wizard I just bought smokes really bad and knocks and I think I just figured it out. I checked the oil and it is like 2 inches overfull on the dipstick!!! Will it quit smoking if I drain it down to the proper level??? Also will the knock go away???

MPH
You'd be best to drain the oil completely and put in new. Maybe it the extreme temp changes up here, but most engines I've picked up that been sitting outside have water in the bottom. I've gotten so I drain 'em before I turn them over at all. If the knock is still there, squat down by the running engine and try to determine if the knock is comming from lower or upper engine. If it sounds higher up, you may luck out with a carbon buildup problem like I did on a 16hp gilson...MPH

bigcountry
Well I couldn't get the oil drain plug to let loose (hydraulic lock, I believe) so I took a siphon hose and pumped out some and got it back under the fill line and I cranked it, and it runs better, almost no smoking, and I believe the knock has either gone away or quietened down enough to where I can't tell if it is or not. I checked the oil after that and I put some fresh almost to where it read full and then I topped it off with some Marvel Mystery Oil. It runs a lot smoother now, and I've been getting up leaves with it the rest of the day. Thanks for the help. By the way, how can I get that drain plug to let loose with out rounding the edges off?? On a lighter note, I was getting up leaves with it later on, and it shot the muffler cover and packing out right in the middle of the yard. So basically, it's straight piped now, I went and got another muffler for it, and as soon as I can get whats left of the old one off, that one will be put on. It sounds really cool now, but I don't want critters gettin in that pipe stopping it up.:D