Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

maxtorman1234

Question about Deeres

maxtorman1234
I was just thinking about the belt driven tractors. Are Deeres belt driven? Most of the new ones look like they are. But I dont know for sure. Do they make any that arent? Thanks

dirtsaver
Graham sitting at my buddies shop are three 110's. One is an early version,one middle years and one later version. All three have a vari-drive system and are belt driven. I think all Deeres were. At least up to the more recent mini tractors. Almost all garden tractors have some part of the drive system utilizing a belt, though there are some exceptions. Larry

Kent
I think they're mostly belt driven also... I "blame" Cub Cadet for coming up with the marketing hype about "shaft drive" and "cast-iron front axles" to try competing with Deere, primarily, but also Simplicity and WheelHorse... neither are necessarily an improvement, but they seem successful in making many people think so.... Just like I "blame" Sears for the current "HP races"... there's no reason to put 25HP in a 500 lb garden tractor to drive a 40-something inch mower deck.... If you could ever get sufficient traction, 25 HP would twist the axles out of the tractor or twist the frame, but on a 500 lb tractor, it'll never happen.... But HP still seems to sell....

fuzy
Some of the older deeres were shaft driven. I think in the 300 or 400 series. I just can't remember. I actually think we have one in being switched over for winter attachments right now but don't remember the series of that one either.

RonRobinson
Hi, Kent, One salesman went as far as saying that the wanting need for horsepower was an american tradition. My 20hp works great. I had a 23hp sears garden tractor before I went orange. Two weeks later, I gave it back to them. Seems that the tans couldn't handle the kohler. I will say that under my conditions, that the shaft drive - 48" deck works ALOT better then did the sears or the MTD 600 series 20hp 46" belt driven deck I used as well. Just my 2 cents.... But I'm glad I got the shaft on this one (LOL) Ron

stinkie
My neighbor bought a new deere this summer. I tried to talk him into something of higher quality, even if it was used. He seems to put a lot of faith in the name. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the John Deere farm tractors, but these little things they try to pass off as "lawn tractors" these days are trash. His is built with the same quality as a murray or a MTD. Give me a freakin break, its either a tractor, or its a lawn mower. If it has pto's to run attachments, and is built heavy, then its a tractor. If it cant drive its own implements, and does nothing but mow grass, its a lawn mower. The JD "garden tractor" attachments (for the new ones, the old ones are good machines) mostly have to have their own motors, or are just drag behind implements like cultivators, etc... Anyway, aside from my tyrade, he popped the clutch and hit the side of his house. Tore that thing all to crap and then brings it over to me to help him fix it. I got some 1/4" bolts (that I made sure to tell him were left over from refurbishing my 1966 simplicity) and pieced his cracked up hood back onto its cheapo pot metal frame. I think he finally got the point when he saw me dragging a large box elder tree that I had cut down later that day with my old 10hp "relic". You are right about the HP issue. Why put 25 horses in something that you only use to mow your yard with, when 10 horses in an old landlord will drag trees, pull a plow, etc... I think that it is just a selling point, and has nothing to do with quality. Also, cast iron front axles dont mean anything when you pair them with a "welded steel frame" that is the same guage as my mowing deck!!! Sadly, the only new ones that are any good cost a fortune. I had to pay 8200 for my kubota bx1500 so that I could keep wear and tear off of my baby.

SmilinSam
I think the old 140 hydros were the earliest ones I have seen using a shaft drive. Shaft or gear, makes no difference to me. Most of them green ones that come through here go out in parts. My standard disassembly tool is a torch on anything green:D I have fun telling that to Deere die hards. Its like running your fingernails across a chalk board to them:D

thedaddycat
I had that old "mystery machine" tractor at Colchester that was hydraulic drive.. A belt ran the mower deck but not the drive system. I don't think anyone ever came up with a definitive answer as to what that thing ever was...

fuzy
Yah the new deere 100 series must be pretty bad. I had a customer who bought one and after only a few weeks made the dealer come and take it back. He then contacted me and I sold him a simplicity tractor that was over 2 times the cost of the deere (it was also a larger model) and he loves it. Said the cut was perfect. I have also heard bad things about the 100 series right from a deere dealer...I won't name names though.....The reason for the quality drop (in my opinion) was to offer a very low cost deere at Home Depot. Yah that's right deere has moved into the big box stores. Those places with NO service department and no sales people that REALLY understand the lawn & garden business. We will just have to sit back and see what the fallout is like. Makes me glad to be a dealer of the orange goods!!

Salthart
Heheheh Lighten up on sears guys ! this is what will soon happen. THey will as Kent says eat frames, trannys and decks and soon the woods will be full of 20-25 hp engines dirt cheap ! heheheh And I happen to know a few "Orange" tractors that can use the horse power ! ROFLOL Anyone got a 3 cylinder yanmar for sale ? heheheh can't wait till they start putting those in the mickey mouse mowers ! Every think I own will soon have one in it.. heheheh

ROBBYDOB
The previous owner's of the house I bought in March had left their mtd lawn mower. It's 17.5 horse, 42" cut, about a year old. I thought I'd see if the thing would start after being out, uncovered all winter. It did, so I thought I'd see if it would move, even though the ground was frozen. Nope, frame humped up like a dog, ya know, wheels turned toward each other, belt screaching, and that was that, til warmer days!! It does mow well though, I will say that. If my B-110 were out there, what would've happened? I know what would have happened if it were my late model Sovereign, whatever I wanted!

BigSix
The observation about Sears putting big h.p. into stamped, sheetmetal framejobs reminds me of what I think of certain downmarket pleasure boats. Basically, I am shocked everytime I see a fine outdrive like a Mercruiser misplaced into a --------. Even some high h.p. models. Such a great engine/outdrive combo in such a cheaply made, light duty boat. It's a crime, really. Real boats have backing plates under the cleats, to prevent easy tear out at the dock, in bad weather. Real boats are handlaid fiberglas, (not "choppergun sprayjobs") or in certain exceptional cases, high quality foam core laminates (Boston Whaler). Real boats have continuous bow rails, self-bailing cockpits, hatch-accessible gastanks (inspection/replacement without "bonesaws and bondo"), high freeboard, and stainless hardware. Real boats have hulls that don't flex noticably when thumped hard with one fist and felt with the other hand, a wingspan away. Real boats are...Grady Whites. Wish I could afford one.... And even they've switched completely to (gak!) outboards, "for better performance." Wait 'till they need replacing, at $20,000.00 per. I'm surprised Mercruiser risks diluting their brand image by selling to the lowest cost boat mfrs. It makes me sad to see them chasing the buck right down to the bottom of the barrel.

DaleC
Horse Power? I have a smoking 10 and it plowed in 2nd gear at what ever throttle setting I put it at. I was plowing sod and clover, both of which pull a tractor hard, and had no trouble. I put a longer chain on the plow so I plow 6" deep. I wanted to see if it could. The only problem I had was traction and I made up for that with chains and setting on the finder. I am able to mow in third gear with the 42" deck and it does a good job. I even was mowing much lower this past weekend since it was the last mowing for the season and had no trouble running that fast. I mowed giant foxtail over my head in first gear this summer when I was triming along the road by the corn field. 36 year old tractor and powerplant. NO PROBLEM!