Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 6118 Rear wheel

Hi, The wheel is held on by an E-ring and washer on the end of the axel and for sure rust. Since these wheels were put on before the factory started putting on anti-seize, I am sure it will be difficult to remove. We have had to cut them off with a torch on occasion. I would suspect the easiest way to get it off may be to use an angle grinder and a weld grinding disc and grind it down to the axle on opposite sides and then just use a punch of chisel to knock off each half. When the wheel is good we put 2 C shaped 1/4" back up pieces on the inside of the wheel disc and bolts through them and the wheel disc to a puller. We then use a puller and an air chisel at the same time. We use a side C shaped chisel in the air chisel and "pound" on the hub on the inside of the disc at a 45 degree angle to try to drive it off and keep tightening the puller at the same time. Sometimes adding heat to the hub at the also. With out the Backing plates the bolts will always pull through the wheel disc. Some times the wheel rim and disc will pull off the hub leaving us with the same situation you now have. We then either grind it as I suggested or take the torch and peel one side off, with another person with the air chisel pounding on it as it is cut away so we don't get the axle any hottter than we have to. Good luck, these are not jobs one can make flat rate on. Al

I have a 1980, 6118 series simplicity tractor, and the other day my right rear wheel fell off. The hub broke away from the shaft. The axel shaft is not broken, but my problem is I'm not sure how the shaft comes off. It looks like the "C" clamp in front with the washer is all that holds the shaft to the axel, with the use of a rusty key way on the axel shaft. How do I get the old shaft off and where can I get a new, or used wheel? A picture blow up would be a lot of help.

I learned the hard way, be careful pounding on the back of the hub, next to the axle shaft. You can peen it into the shaft, making it even harder to move. Maybe, you can use a pin punch and drive the key out of the slot, then you can turn the hub on the shaft with a pipe wrench.