Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 cable routing???

MPH

After 10 plus months since tear down, my 725 is starting to look like a tractor again. Anyone happen to have a pic handy of the Choke and gas cable routing???Thanks.. MPH

Here you go Marty, fresh off the presses........ The choke cable runs along the right side and then under the flywheel shroud over to the left side of the engine....

... where it comes up and attaches to the choke lever. You can see the throttle cable running along the bottom of the frame here.

Here's a better shot of how they attach to the carb.....

dadycat thnx a bunch i have been looking for the same info. what does it look like at the other end ? A knob/lever, where is it located at the dash ? thnx for any help with this

Choke cable? What's that? You mean everyone doesn't have to put their right hand on the ignition key then stretch around the tractor to move the choke lever with their left, while trying to keep the clutch depressed with their right foot. All kinds of newfangled gadgets on some of these tractors!

Boney, this pic is a little fuzz, my camera is slow reacting in the shop light. If you can't make out what you need to know I'll try a new one..Choke lever is just below the key. It actually show better in Kirks first pic, to the far left, right at the end of the hood.. Hubbard, 725's have CLASS,,MPH

Marty, My 61 Wards is basically the same tractor. I have 14Hp Kohler on it. Just too lazy to hook up chokes on all of my tractors. They all start so easy. First pop and the choke can be opened on both the B/S and Kohler engines. I'm going to hook up a choke cable on the AC712S with the B/S engine because there is no choke detent on the carb to keep in the correct position. That carb is set up for cable only. The others can be used either way.

The remote choke was an improvement made with(I think) the 1963 updates to the 725, along with the longer steering column, pulley guard on the right fender and pan seat among others...

Kirk, do you happen to know a measurement, say from the dash to the steering wheel, of the two different column lengths??Thanks..MPH

I don't know the measurement off the top of my head, but you can see the two in the post linked. The first pic shows two of the later 725s and the second pic shows an early one. Look at the date of the post, and my complete lack of any knowlege about the differences. Now I don't know how I became an "expert" in such a short time, other than I kept digging for answers and remember most of them.... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10569&SearchTerms=700+or+725+

So Kirk, did you ever decide if Putt-putt is a 700 or mislabled 725?? How you became the 'expert' in such a short time, I'm clueless, how did you get so many tractors in such a short time?.. Since you have such a supply of these 'true classic's', do any of them have some sort of hood stop so it doesn't smash into the grill, no matter how gentle one goes. After spending a fair amount of time geting the kinks and dents out, I hate to trash it again, and I know I won't always put a nice clean 1x6 standing up to rest it on.. Thanks..MPH

No hood stops that I'm aware of. I think that after much digging and debating the jury is still out on the Putt Putt. I think it is likely a mix and match. It has the angled shifter which is definitely a "later" item, but the short steering column, no pulley guard, etc. It's not a stretch to imagine someone taking parts off one tractor to keep another one running. I have a Wonder Boy in western PA that was being used until it blew a rear tire, when I get it home I can do a more detailed side-by-side of them. I will likely put together the other Wonder Boy I have here as a 700 and make the Putt Putt a proper example of an early 725 and the kids' 725 as a later example... I need to finish the 2012 before I start doing any more restorations, though... Hey, I just had an idea to keep your grill nice. Take some thin cable, wire, rope or something like that and tie the hood to the frame with just enough "leash" to keep it short of the grill but still open freely.

Here a better pic of the homeless parts of concern, by choke lever did you mean the one that moves the cable or does this piece bolt to the tractor frame, then the chole lever to it. The bushing looks like the ones in the steering cross arm but thier both there. After running the 112 this guy sure is nice and tight. If I come up with a system on the hood I'll post it, thought about a light chain or cable but don't want it hanging lose under the hood anywhere...

Here are the two columns. The early one looks like it's about 1.5" from the hood to the top of the steering wheel spoke.

The later one is about 5" from hood to spoke

BTW, that spring attaches to a small L bracket, not the frame as I had stated before. I must have been thinking of a later model tractor that hooks to the frame...

Ok, I have the tall steering wheel, but no belt guide. Forgot to write down the serial # off the 19 before I put it in, darn it...Had all them #'s once, but I left the book in a parts store in Fairbanks. My cable routing came out a little different, on the choke, my cable was about a foot too long run the ways yours is, so after More poundering, it flashed back to me mine run around the front of the engine and clamped to the bracket on the bottom of carb, which was bolted to the carb instead of the aircleaner rod, where I put it to Keep track of it. I run the throttle cable in from the top so them gooffy cable nuts hold the cable housing in place. Don't understand what yours is locked into below the carb. I can see the cable hooked to the same hole mine is in..

If you look closely at the first pic you can see the clamp that holds the outer sheath right below the leading edge of the "S" in Simplicity, about an inch forward of the rear edge of the hood. That is all there is to it, I think....