Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sleeve hitch and rear lift for '92 GTH-L

van

I'm interested in pulling a Brinly moldboard plow with my Simplicity GTH-L. I have seen sleeve hitches for sale, and they look like they'll fit my tractor.? But what do I need to lift the plow? My tractor has a cable lift for the mower deck. The tractor did not come with a manual lift lever and rod for a rear lift like the older model tractors had. I've been looking at all the Simplicity sites but haven't seen anything yet that would give me a solution to this problem. Is there anyone who can help me out with this?

I have a '91 17GTH-L that I pull a 10" molboard(breaking) plow with. What you need is the cable that runs from the lift crossmember (where the deck cable attaches) to the rear lift section that fits on the back frame. Those pieces and the lower hitch assy. and a few minor guides and brackets are all you need. I will look up the part #s and post them when I get time later. Larry

Van I assume your tractor is a large frame like my 17GTH-L. If so, the rear lift kit is part# 1690404 and the one point(sleeve) hitch kit is part# 1600055. If you go to the Simple trACtors link at the top of this page...click on "parts and manuals" and then pick "manuals" from the next list of options type in these part#s in the box for manufacturer# it will link you to the drawings and info and show you what you need to have. Also you may want to look in the "do it yourself" link for homemade rear lift parts. Any questions just ask, someone here has already been there. Be sure to browse through the Simple trACtors site for tons of info and also you can do searches in the archives here for past posts on just about anything you may need to know on these great little tractors. Welcome to the club and enjoy! Larry

quote:
Originally posted by gregc
I'm confused (that happens often). Isn't the GTH-L a Sovereign?
Greg, That's right---Simp renamed it when it was reintroduced I think in 1990. And it is a 17 horse Kohler.

quote:
Originally posted by dirtsaver
Van I assume your tractor is a large frame like my 17GTH-L. If so, the rear lift kit is part# 1690404 and the one point(sleeve) hitch kit is part# 1600055. If you go to the Simple trACtors link at the top of this page...click on "parts and manuals" and then pick "manuals" from the next list of options type in these part#s in the box for manufacturer# it will link you to the drawings and info and show you what you need to have. Also you may want to look in the "do it yourself" link for homemade rear lift parts. Any questions just ask, someone here has already been there. Be sure to browse through the Simple trACtors site for tons of info and also you can do searches in the archives here for past posts on just about anything you may need to know on these great little tractors. Welcome to the club and enjoy! Larry

Sorry for the misunderstanding The diagrams I posted above are out of the owners and parts manual for a GTH which is a small frame tractor with virtical shaft engine 6000 series type. The 17GTH-L is a Large frame horizontal shaft engine, Sovereign Type, 7100 series. The sleave hitch 1690996 for the large frame can be bought at a dealer new by odering the following individual part #'s 1ea part # 1675373 clevis assy. $65.70 1ea part # 1716179 pin hitch $17.75 1ea part # 154304 yoke $7.00 1ea part # 1603816 plate stabilizer $8.85 1ea part # 1604349 lift rod 10.20 you will also need if you want every thing new. 4ea part # 176012 spring clips (Quick pins) 3ea part # 155037 attaching pins 2ea 5/8" x 11 x 2½" bolts and nuts 1 cotter pin

Larry, UCD, and Fuzy... Sorry about the extra replys with nothing on them---I'm still learning how to do this. Anyway, thanks very much all for the great info. This is just the stuff I was looking for. What a great club this is.

Van, Here's a photo of a rear lift and sleeve hitch attached to a tractor like yours. The rear lift is raised and lowered by a cable that goes from the rear of the tractor to the cross shaft that your mower deck cable is attached to. The tube on the rear lift that looks like a piece of pipe is used to attach a tiller that does not require a sleeve hitch like a plow does. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/sleeve-hitch.jpg[/img]

Dutch, The picture of the hitch is great. Is it available for purchase anywhere? I really like the fact that the upper and lower parts are connected. Let me know. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by van
Dutch, The picture of the hitch is great. Is it available for purchase anywhere? I really like the fact that the upper and lower parts are connected. Let me know. Thanks.
To answer your question, YES. Most all the individual parts are available from a Simplicity dealer (see UCD's above post). Some dealers may still have a complete kit in stock (see Fuzy's above post). New and used components and kits are sometimes found on eBay. Some club members offer reproductions (see Classifed ads). Designs are available to build a rear lift in the DIY section > http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/rear_hitch.htm The above photo is a sleeve hitch (one point lift in Simplicity lingo) that I built myself. Here are the plans. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/onepointhitch-oem.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by dutch
quote:
Originally posted by van
To answer your question, YES. Most all the individual parts are available from a Simplicity dealer (see UCD's above post). Some dealers may still have a complete kit in stock (see Fuzy's above post). New and used components and kits are sometimes found on eBay. Some club members offer reproductions (see Classifed ads). Designs are available to build a rear lift in the DIY section > http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/rear_hitch.htm The above photo is a sleeve hitch (one point lift in Simplicity lingo) that I built myself. Here are the plans. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/onepointhitch-oem.jpg[/img]
Dutch, Do you have pictures of the lift and how you attach the cable to it?

Thanks Jim and Maynard for the clarification on the model number and series. I thought it was a Sovereign but was not real familiar with the newer letter designations, so I wasn't sure. I have heard that GTH-L stood for Garden Tractor with hydrostatic transmission and hydraulic lift. Is this correct?

I saw that but van p/m me and was interested in purchasing it. I just thought I would post a breakdown so he could put a picture with each of your part numbers. Sorry for the duplication.