Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Number one reason not to load W/C C

Bunky

Well Here's the Number one reason not to load with Calcium Chloride... This is a wheel off a 7013S that I'm took apart.... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/Bunky/MVC-001S.JPG[/img]

I've picked tractors up with them so bad from sitting for years that the dish was rusted away to the point where only one bolt was left holding the wheel on.....

This Wheel has a tube in it.... thats whats showing behind the rotted hole and Valve stem sticking up...... It must of leaked out the Stemfor a while, it was so bad that the chloride got all over and rusted the ends of the Wheel studs and when i pulled a couple of them out.. it ripped the threads out of the axles....

That wheel looks like it rusted from the outside in. I have tires and wheels on my 7790 that have been on 3 tractors and have been loaded with chloride for 30 years I put tubes in them last year as I had a pinhole rusted from the outside in. The inside of the wheels still looked new, paint was still nice. I know it rusted from the outside in as the outside hole was larger on the outside. The inside was just a pinhole. If tires are loaded correctly with chloride they will not rust on the inside. I welded the hole closed ground it smooth repainted the wheels and installed tubes. They should be good for another 30+ years. When you load a tire with chloride the wheel has to be completely covered inside. As long as no air gets to the rim it will not rust. If you puncture a tire you have to repair it right away because if air gets to the rim it will rust very fast.

Maynard, I don't disagree with you at all. I've known/seen many people run calcium chloride for years with no problems. But, I've also seen too many wheels like this... Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk for the 5-10 extra pounds that it would add, in comparison to something like WW fluid or marine/RV antifreeze. After all, the odds say you can win playing Russian Roulette 5 out of 6 times....

When I had my own portable welding thing going on I did many rims on loaded farm tractors. I don't remember any as bad as this, but some I ended up with mabey a 3" dia hole, when rust ground out. Guess I did a decent job as 4 tire companies would call me a lot. I do believe if I was going to load mine I'd go with Kents method.

Calcium Cloride will do that. I have seen many tractor rims ruined as Joe mentioned. Tires get holes in them. It is a fact of life. It is not a matter of if but when.