Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RedbarnRick

Snowblower chute

RedbarnRick
I just repainted the snowblower I picked up and it turned out great, I was in the process of waxing up the chute and impeller area with parafin wax when I thought of using a plastic coating for a more durable coating. My question is has anyone used a coating like Dip-it (the stuff you dip plier handles and tools in to get a plastic coat on it),or some other plastic coating with any success,it would seem to me it should work, but it may trap moisture and cause rust. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

MPH
Rick, I would think something like dip-it would be too soft for a good sliding surface. The plastic handles on tools normally give a better grip. If I get to it, I'm gonna try painting mine with epoxy applaince paint inside. It seems to dry harder then regular paint..If you decide to try it, might paint it with Permatex 'rust treatment first. I sprayed down an extra blade I had after wire brushing it, made it pretty slick, Tink I'll leave it and see how it holds up..MPH

slb04786
I was thinking about trying the Duplicolor undercoating that was mention for use on the undersides of mower decks recently. Can't remember who posted but they said it wore well and looked like new at the end of the summer. Grass just washed off. Stan

ikipp
Just a comment regarding the permetex rust paint. I've had great results using Rustoleum brand. First use their Rusty Metal Primer; Second coat use their clean metal primer and third use their enamel. We've used these on some real hard outdoor enviroments and these products have given us the best results. Might want to use two coats of the enamel top coat.

thedaddycat
You mean you've graduated up to steel cookware, not still using cast iron???? Wait till youget a load of that "new" stuff called Silverstone or T-Fal.... lol I don't know how well that paint would work on cookware though....

MPH
Now ya got me all wrong Kirk, my steel frypan was light enough to hitchhike the Alcan with in 1975. My eggs and pancakes still get cooked on my well seasoned CAST iron fry pans. Oh, I bought my steel one in a second hand store for 50 cents, it could be as old as our tractors, and still works fine..Silverstone, is that the stuff that clutters up Sams club???