Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Boney

Paint Q (new one i hope)

Boney
For those that have painted their tractor with a compressor. How much paint do you use on average to paint a tractor? I am looking at these two guns, any suggestions or comment ? I know nothing about painting so feel free. I am not sure which gun I should get, but I have all winter to descide. Well got hood, seat and mower deck ready for sand blasting tomorrow,,,,tank god for the guy that invented the cut off tool,,,,needed it more than once, but everything is ready. :) http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/psh2.htm?L+coastest+pmjs2727ff984198+1068984590 http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/psh3.htm?L+coastest+pmjs2727ff984198+1068984590

mowerman1193
The one with the 4.2oz cup will probably suit your needs if your just going to paint tractors...I have a 20oz. gravity feed gun and I usually only mix up 5-8oz at a time...I usually only spray a couple parts at a time...Like if you spray a Landord hood inside and out with one light coat and one heavy coat you would probably use about 3-4oz..and you would probably have some left in the gun..but you dont want to be running out in the middle of your work expecually when you are on your last coat..as that can mess up your shine...When I paint cars I like to use my 40oz gun..Its kinda heavy holding it out over the hood or top but sure beats filling it 6-8 times... On another note though if you have the space and enough places to set up parts to paint the 20oz. would be better..that way you dont have to stop and refill all the time...plus you wont have to clean the gun 10-15 times to paint a tractor(thats what annoys me the most)Thats why on my project 717 I decided to use spray cans.. One quart of paint should be more than enough to do a tractor... I hope this helps some...maybe someone else has more experience with painting tractors with a spray gun as I have only done one tractor with a gun...I am finding the spray cans to be much more convenience with the tractors..but I dont have a big area to lay out parts..If I did then the spray gun does alot better and faster job in my opinion...

mowerman1193
The air pressure plays a big role in how much paint you use and how much you get on yourself,LOL I turn the pressure up just enough to get a good spray without having it spitting ect...this way the paint isn't bouncing off the parts as much thus not wasting paint into the air...Thats what the purpose of the HVLP guns..They claim the HVLP guns will use about 1/2 the amount of paint that a regular gun will...I have used them and I wouldn't say they save that much but they do noticably use less... The recommended pressure for my gravity feed gun is 40-60psi but I can run it at about 25psi doing small jobs with good results...

KenK
Maybe I should invest in a new gun.The gun I'm using now is probably 30+ years old.It holds right at a quart of paint,I believe it says delibiss on the side of it.The paint I've been using has been costing about $100 a gallon.I have about 6 more tractors to paint,it would save money in the long run with a new gun.By not wasting as much paint.Are paint guns like hand tools,you get what you pay for.Or can I find a fairly inexpesive gun that will do a good job?

RonT
quote:
Originally posted by KenK
Are paint guns like hand tools,you get what you pay for.Or can I find a fairly inexpesive gun that will do a good job?
Ken, I have a few spray guns one is a SATA it was about $375 new it is a great gun. I then bought a cheaper copy of that same gun $99. It turns out that the cheap one does just as good if not better when using basecoat / clearcoat paints. The two guns that Boney has listed are a copy of that SATA gun. The bigger one would be the best for the work that you say that you have to do. The small one is good for small parts or tight spots. If you buy a gravity feed gun you do not end up with any paint left over in the cup I find that a plus.

Agricola
Does anyone use the siphon feed type gun anymore? That is all I am used to using. I have seen the HVLP guns around for a bit but have not used them yet. Are they worth buying a new gun and getting rid of my old Binks?

mowerman1193
I still use my siphon feed gun from time to time...Mainly bigger jobs as it has a quart(40oz)cup and my gravity feed gun only has a pint cup (20oz)...Not all gravity feed guns are HVLP..I used to think that and I think alot of others think that as well... Unless you do alot of painting I wouldn't change guns for a HVLP.Alot of people that have painted for years say they don't like the HVLP guns and they can't paint as good with them...They do take a little getting used to and I would try to borrow one before I fork over the cash for one... A gravity feed gun is nice in a couple ways as you can run lower presure as you dont have to suck up the paint through the tube...Also when you run out it dont seem to spit/spatter paint.Kinda like drinking though a straw when your almost empty verses drinking from a glass..The glass will empty completly where the straw will leave some in the bottom of the cup...