Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

stormy2163

I know there is someone out there that can give me some info on this particular model.I had a call on one of these.I haven't been to look at it yet but the owner says all it needs is a battery.All I know thus far is it has 16 hp Kohler and 42 inch deck.Is that the original engine?I don't know much about these but assuming it's an early 80's model. Could be wrong.They are asking $100.00.What do you guys think? Robin:)

I dont know much about them other than it should have a Briggs twin cyl.And also the ones with the 5speed peerless transaxle had problems with shift keys.

I have sitting down back and it has a briggs twin in it. it also has a 3 speed trans. Any more than that I don't know. I only recently got it and havn't done anything with it yet.

Like about all the Simplicitys they do a great job cutting grass but were light duty in the tractor department IMO. The ones I remember had the plastic console and were offered with Vari-drive or Hydros with the control sticking forward from under the seat between the legs. Or with 3 and 5 speed manual transaxles. If its in any kind of shape it should be worth the price no problem. Pretty simple machine to maintain.

I have the 5211 which is the same tractor but with a smaller Briggs engine. I love this thing for mowing. It turns on a dime and the mover does a beautiful job. In fact it does much better than my 2000 John Deere. You could get them in geared or hydro transmissions. You won't win any pulling wars or ditch jumping but for lawn work it is a nice one. Keith

Same here as Mark and Keith, Robin. I have the 5212.5 that has a 12.5 briggs "L". Hydrostatic. It is a GREAT mower. But it is a lawn mower, not a garden tractor.

Thanks for everyones input.I still haven't seen it yet.But it sounds promising.I don't really need it,but it is a Simplicity.

Stormy, In sounds like you have caught the it. And from what has been reported there is no known cure. Good luck with your new tractor. Rick.......

Rick I think I have caught it as well:Dand you are right there is no cure.My garage is a mess and wall to wall with tractors that I don't need with the exceptions of the Simple ones.I need to get busy.