Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Selling out........???

SmilinSam

Toying with the idea of selling out all my Simplicity/AC stuff the first of the year. ALL OF IT From the paperwork, binders, manuals, to the tractors and attachments I have to what parts I have laying around, keeping only enough to build one tractor. Then We have a clean slate to start over again. An interesting thought anyhow just looking at the list I drew up off the top of my head of items sitting here.

Sam, Send me a list. I will be interested in attachments for sure and probably some parts. If you want to just dump the whole load at on fell swoop. . .That is more than I can do.

Sam, I don't know what your motivation is, but I'm going through a similar situation myself. As my wife asked me just this week, "Do you own a lot of stuff, or does it own you?" She has a very valid point. I've already began selling off and giving away "stuff". I just haven't gotten to the point yet where I can throw away perfectly good equipment or material. Here's an example. I just relocated many open boxes of partially used nails, screws, nuts, bolts and other fasteners from one shop to another. Total weight probably 2000-3000 pounds. A) Can't return an open box. B) Will never use them all myself at this time in my life. C) Spend all day sitting at a yard sale to sell them for pennies. D) Throw them away only to go the Home Depot and spend $4 next time I need one pound. What should I do with them?

I dont know if this is possible Sam. Last spring I looked at all the stuff in my barn that required maintaining. (Everything works, as I refuse to have junk lying around) I bought a JD 2210 w/loader mower & scraper to handle just about any chore I have. I sold/gave away several David Bradley's, and most of my Simplicity/Allis stuff. Funny thing is - this kind of equipment seems to have a way of finding a home in my barn. I'm almost back where I started in the spring! Good luck, Nick

I keep stuff that I can use (either now or "eventually")If it lies around too long,say 1-3 years and I don't use it I will throw it away or give it away. If it useful I tend to hang on to it longer. I have some six panel doors (solid wood) that I have had for 10-15 years I plan to strip them an replace the existing doors that I have in my house (hollow core and cheap looking). They don't take up too much space in the attic of my barn so I can justify keeping them (to every rule there is an exception). I am getting up to my gills with other junk to the point of having a yard sale in the spring and whatever is left over throw away. The funny thing is I can't even think of parting with my beloved tractors! they are way too useful. John H

I own a lot of stuff, tools, hardware, Tractors all kinds of STUFF. Seams like the only time I need to use something I cant find it or right after I throw it away .

Guess this all comes down to what you want out of life don't it ? Everyone does something with their time and most waste it letting a TV think for them. Some people spend all their waking time working and most of the time they are making someone else rich. SO when its all said and done. When its time to leave this old world and your peers are whispering as to wheather or not you were a failure, What really matters ? While some lawyer may leave behind a large estate and a huge sum of money in the bank.. (For someone else to spend and live in ) And while his peers will likely think his life something to be envied, I really wonder. What makes a life worth while ? IMO it has very little to do with how much a person makes and more to do with the impact they make on those around them. Do my loved ones know beyond a doubt how much I cared ? Did I know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior ? Did I share my faith in Jesus Christ with all I came in contact with ? Did I spend enough time studying the Bible ? So some rich guy leaves behind a lot of wealth and me only a few ( 15 so far ) tractors and a large stash of parts. Will either matter in the end ?

Well... this does bring up an interesting point, Marty mentioned the other day, which maybe, we all think about, all the time. If I got down to one tractor, or motorcycle, or whatever, What would it be?

SmilinSam, While there are many of us here that would like to get some of your goodies, I realy think you should give this some time to think about it. Go ahead and say for a month make believe you dont have any of your stuff, that means no riding the tractors, no looking at books, no selling or playing with the parts, no looking at a tractor and ejoying how you refubished it and are now proud of it. Do that for a month and then see if you really want to sell all of it. I would hate to see you get rid of some things that you can not replace. Hope I aint stepping over the line. All said in a good way :)

Sam, What will the boys have to play with? Changes happen and we move on. I know how the shed first gets filled and then the area around the shed etc. I am thinking of cutting down my fleet once I get running the ones I really want. But I'm still looking for a few things. Your fleet of machines is a nice one.

Sam, if you recall, I sold most of my stuff in the fall of 2001 and bought a Kubota. Guess that I just got tired of fixing stuff all of the time, it is really great to sit on a tractor and just start it up and go, without spending an hour fixing everything. The only thing I really miss is the sickle bar mower

Guys, Basically its time to consolidate. I spent the last couple years buying and selling and in the process trying different stuff out to see what would be best for my needs around here. Also spent the last few years working on getting the "I want" attitude rooted out and replaced with the "only what I need" attitude. What I did today was to work on a deal with my Massey Dealer to give me $5000 trade in value for my 720 & deck and my 917 with deck , cab, and blower to buy a new MF GC2300 4wd Compact Diesel Tractor with a loader, cat 1 3pt, and a 540 PTO. That tractor will replace the other 2 as well as the other 917 that has the little loader on it. I keep the 2 Wheel Horse tractors to mow, till and blow snow with through the year as they are in the long run less expensive and less work to maintain, even if they don't do quite as nice a job. The remaining balance of the tractor is financed at 3.5% interest at 3 years. Then I sell the 917 & loader and all the other stuff I have and pay my truck loan off which is about at the same amount as the tractor loan but at 9% for almost 3 more years. Doing this should save some money and save alot of maintinance time as well as floor space. For back ups I will rely on my boys operating their tractors and attachments. One has a Simplicity made T16-H and the other a AC made T-15H, and between the two they have a full compliment of attachments themselves that belong to them, not me. Don't take it the wrong way that I won't keep the Simplicitys and ACs. I get great satisfaction just trying them out and playing with them while they are passing through my hands on to yours either in pieces or in whole. Rest assured there will always be one here somewhere at any given time. This whole process I have initiated is based soley on freeing up time for more important things, and reducing expenses so I again can free up time from having to make money to cover expenses due. One should keep in mind that money is nothing, merely a tool to serve ones needs. When its gone, more can be made. Time is not so, you only have what you have to strive to be better than ones self, and when its gone, its gone. No more time . I will make a list of the items to be sold. Prices will be what I need form them and I will note which Items I will be listing on Ebay(and they will not be priced), and which items can be shipped and not. At this point I don't want to sell anything till after the first of the year. Some of it I need to work on before selling. Prices will be fair but no bargains.

Sam, fair is all anyone has a right to ask for. I went with Rob the other night and got that B-12 with a parts tractor and some othwer stuff. Tonight Reed owns that B-12, and it only cost him $140 from me. Why? He's a friend and I dont' believe that all the "good luck" I seem to fall into belongs to me so I pass it on when I can. The 42" plow that was part of the deal... gone for $50 to another club member who will surely get much use from it. My end? I get that bolt together deck for being in the right palce and time.... So in the end I guess that makes at least three "winners" on this deal, and why not? I've heard the saying that it's sometimes chicken and sometimes feathers. I don't like to be hungry so I share my chicken when I can and it always seems to come back to me....

Sam I have to confess...when I first read your post earlier today I thought you'd spent too much time in the sun without a hat[:0]! As Boney pointed out, how would you ever replace some of those jewels. Then after seeing your more recent post I began to understand. I only have two running tractors here and two(maybe three) project tractors, along with enough parts tractors to keep all them running a long time and maybe sell a few parts here and there. Seems like I keep finding more parts tractors and projects showing up. With 12-15 hour workdays I don't have much time to play, and I sometimes wonder if I should'nt share some of my fun with others. For me the tractors are not about money, they are a way to unwind and chill out, but some days when I stick my head in the shop door on my way to the house after a long day I wonder if I should trade some of this stuff for a restored B-12 that's ready to use. Anyway, good luck! and enjoy that new Massey. I know when you are trying to make a living on equipment it's a bear to be working on it all the time. Larry

Some of these prices may indeed seem high to some of you and some of this, if one is in the right place in the right time, may be able to be bought for a good deal less. But, most of whats on my list is from my "private vault" that I bought for me and didn't care what I spent. So ,for the most part, I am not making a killing on these particular items, only recovering invested money.

Sam, most of us understand where you're coming from and mull over the same things. No doubt there is a lot of time spent on these "projects". It's nice to go out and start a new tractor and not have the worry of what might or is going to possibly go wrong. Good luck with the Massey.....I've seen those and they are very nice tractors! Couldn't find the AGCO "orange" equivalent though??

Sam I was in the same boat as you (all be it on a much smaller scale) I sold a few of my toy's so i could buy my new sovereign, and now i am down to 3 tractors that I use and one that I started to restore. Well I just don't have the time right now to work on that 1 project so I gave it to kent, now all I have to do is make the time to get it to him somhow. I would rather see it go to sombody that has the time to spend on it than see it go to the scrap pile.

Sam,, Ive been toying many times with the idea of getting rid of all my stuff too,so far I havent.Scraps a penny a pound round here!alum 40 cents,,,Good luck to you in whatever you decide!,,

Dave, One added plus to selling it all to the floor is I can really rework an empty building by putting shelving and racks in where I need them without having to fight the "junk" all over the floor. Don't know if I will ever get to the floor though....I just picked up a B-210 to part out:D Kinda hard to pass opportunity up ....

Sam, I kind of get the idea that reliability is an issue. Is it? I actually get tired sometimes of not being able to just always jump on and mow. It seems that something is always needing attention. It has taken me three years to get the mower deck were I do not have to constantly be working on it. Yet, I am at the place were I need to put in new bearings and one new shaft. Maybe another new pulley before I am done. Then I need to do some work on the PTO, and the spring is showing a weak place and needs replacement. I need to put new thrust washers and bearing stripes in the clutches, and The set screws on the pulleys and the steering keep coming loose, ect, ect ect. Just don't tell me you are giving up!

Give up? I don't think so. I've been working at building this part time venture into something I can just step right into ,when and if needed, for full time income to pay all the bills. What I'm doing now is just another step in that direction. The new Massey( Which I just sealed the deal on tonight) is the key needed piece that allows me to move much heavier objects(700-800 lbs) around in loading and off loading trucks/trailers. Much more effective than the smaller unit I am now selling which will only lift half as much weight. Actually this year everything worked fine with no repairs needed. A refreshing change.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam Actually this year everything worked fine with no repairs needed. A refreshing change.
Wonder if that has anything to do with selling some New Englanders the questionnable ones? :D

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam Actually this year everything worked fine with no repairs needed. A refreshing change.
Wonder if that has anything to do with selling some New Englanders the questionnable ones? :D
Actually, those were both not giving me any fits either.. BTW, When are we going to get to see pictures of a yellow loader?