Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4211H - Trans quit working???

wasmeneh

Ok, Mowed with it yeasterday worked fine. Took off the rear wheels to paint them and repalaced them, keyed in correctly, but did I turn them in such away that they they aren't connected anymore. In gear they both turn. With it jacked up in the back they turn when the hydro's ingaged but stop when you touch with them, kind of free wheeling..... Help.....All I wanted to do is make my wheels look nice. Mike

Think if it was me I would take the tires back off and make sure that the keyway and keys are together right...got to be something simple if its been working fine before...

I'll take them back off again tomarrow, the wheels will not go on unless the key is lined up, or at least I thought. Any other ideas, would turning the wheels cause the axel to become misaliegned? Mike

Had a neighbor with the same problem. turned out the key fell out when he slid the wheel on. He never saw it fall. If it was working fine thats about all it can be.

When you say that they won't go on unless the keys are lined up is somewhat incorrect. The keys are a seperate part. They are not attached to the axle or the rims. You should slide the wheel on, line up the key ways and then slide the keys in. All it takes is just one to have fallen out and you will loose all drive due to the differential. Take another look.

John, You and another member hit the nail on the head. Checked this morning and one had fallen out. I was to fed up to check last night. I'll put it back on tonight. I've got to let the wheels dry some more. Mike

UCD, Mr. Administrator, didn't mean to dis you...at all. You were right from the get go I just missed it last night that the key fell out and was too tired and fed up. Thanks to all that helped figure out my mess up. Mike

Thanks for eveybody's help. The woodruff key on one axel had fallen out and put it back everythings back to normal. Thanks again, Mike

Mike, me thinks John and Maynard have different machines in mind. You figure how to slide the hub first, then install the woodruff key, be sure to get some good pics. don't think Maynard ezcuss me was that he was offended. As John is in the bussiness, don't recon he was saying you could.. MPH

My appologies to all......I looked up a 4211 not a 4211H. The gear drive has straight keys and the hydro version has woodruff. Again sorry for the mistake.

MPH, They had the wrong trans, Maynard had the right one. I just couldn't believe that the key fell out when he posted the diagram. They were talking about a straight slot like key, like maynards diagram it was a woodruf key and you had to carefully slide the wheel on with the key pushed all the way on the axle, making sure the grease was out of the slot. That was my initial problem. Grease raised the key enough that the wheel pushed the key out when you slid the wheel on. Thanks to all. Thank god they're caled "simple..icty tractors" I'd never get them to work right if not. Next project John just sent me my new blower and bagger cart....tab a in slot B and so forth. If I had any hair I'll have it out this weekend. What a hobby!!!!! I've also got a Cub Cadet 1110, pretty close to each other (Cub's a little faster, same B&S 11 HP but fender mounted Hydro shift) also a 36" cut. Mike