Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simp CFC20 Hydro

FLRyder

Has anyone ever rebuilt a hydro from a Simplicity model CFC Zero Turn? Mine operates OK, but won't make it up my shed ramp unless I let it cool off for an hour or so. I used to work on big hydros on Bobcat skid steers, but not on these small combo units. Thanks in advance Tom

I looked up several parts inside the pump and they start at about $175.00 and up for each internal assembly. You may be best off just replacing the bad hydro. Depending on which side they run between 400.00 & 500.00 new.

Hi, These used the Eaton hydro assy. The pumps and motors in these use balls in a bored hole for pistons. At the factory they are selected for fit in 10ths of thousanths of an inch. If they are taken apart you MUST keep the same ball in the hole it is in or the pump is junk, even in a new or good unit. The balls CAN NOT be mixed up! The best way is to put a wide rubber band around the assy to keep the balls in when removing it from the cam ring. Any way, the seal is between the outer circumferenc of the ball and the hole it fits in, a very narrow surface. When there is any increase in this clearance, these pumps get weak. With a piston pump, the long surface of the piston seals better with the same clearance. One thing you can do is put heavier oil in to maybe get a few more free miles. I have had customers put 15W-50 Mobil 1 in to try to get by a little longer, also most of these use oil in the 30 weight range, and sometimes some 40 will help. You must drain the oil out before installing synthetic, as mixes are bad. There are 2 plugs on these units, one on top and one on the bottom. Remove both, after draining the unit put the bottom plug in and leave the top one out, this will let the air out, then add oil until it gets to the top plug. Put the top plug in and continue to fill the reservoir. You have nothing to lose. A new pump and cam ring will cost almost as much as a new unit where all is new. Good luck. My 2 cents worth and its free value accordingly. Al Eden

Thanks for the tips. I think that I'll try the heavier synth oil changeout. Before I bought the unit used last year, I know the dealer rebuilt one of the hydros. But the owner said it still was a bit weak even after the rebuild. Perhaps the balls got mixed up. Anyway, I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on it at this point. We'll see what happens next summer after the new oil goes in.