Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hilly terrain

lndscpr

Hi, I recently pucrhased a 7114H and a 3212h with a few attachments. The front of my 1.5 acres is flat but the back slopes down at an increasingly steep angle. At one point there is a steep embankment and then more gradual again. My main question is how do these machines handle a slope? They have turf savers tires at this time. i8 just got chains for the 7114. Shouls I set up the 3212H with Ag or climber tires? secondly, I would like to clear some brush and saplings from the slope. Is there an attachment that will so this on slopes? Or is this best done with hand tools? Sorry, I am a bit clueless about such things. I grew up in a mill town. Nobobody owned tractors/ PS, I love the simplicity tractors. they do a great job mowing the rough ground in back. thanks, John

Bob is right, that should be the main concern. To answer your question with chains a hydro will go up steep enough to go over backwards. The weed and brush cutter would probably handle the clearing part but if its at all steep I'd go with the by hand method just for safety's sake.

Bob, You brought up an interesting point. Lubrication. Is there a recomendation on maximum slope and operation of these cast irons. My Brother has always had a mower with a Kohler in it and he would blow them up at a rate of about one ever two years. I am mowing his yard now. His yard is up hill and because of the way it lays, you are also mowing sidways. Uphill and sideways. He bought a mower with pressure oiling several years ago, also a kohler, and has had no oiling related problems since. It has been probably 10 years now. My question is, am I asking for trouble thinking I can dodge the bullit with my Briggs.

Thanks guys, I am concern with traction and seizing the engine. 7114 has 14 HP Kohler. 3212 is a briggs. would be good to know the maximum slope they can handle without any damage. I would not guess at the angle of the slope. Most likely steep enough to tip if I ran horizontal. fairly easy to climb without a load. May need additional traction if hauling something.

My brothers next door neighbor rolled a snapper and his head was crushed killing him instantly. He was a retired Doctor ~75 years old and mowed his grass for at least 25 years. Be careful accidents can happen anytime. JH

I too was wondering about hilly terrain. I believe that my 97 Regent with the Kohler is with the pressurized oil? If that is not an issue, shoudl I put on wheel weights to help hold me down on some slopes? Is it OK to go head on up and down or should I go diagnally? Any assistance would be great. I am most concerned about the part of the yard that slopes into he lake.