Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tractors101

AC720 diesel conversion, it runs and drives!

Recommended Posts

tractors101
Hey everyone, well its taken quite a bit longer than I thought it would have to get this machine driveable, reason is that I've had way too much going on and haven't had the time I thought I would have to be able to finish it up, lol. Anyways, we got some more progress done on it, I took it for its first drive the other day and it works very nicely. The real test will be when the mower deck gets tried on it! Anyways, the exhaust comes out of the side (no extra holes in the hood) and we had to customize a Kubota manifold to make it work but it works nicely. The original hood for this tractor is in very sad shape so that is why it has a Simplicity 4040 hood and dash on it instead. The two baffles that are inside the hood did need some modification, but they are still in there. In the one picture you can see the front PTO clutch coil mounting bracket sitting in front of the engine... were using a clutch off of a JD 314 garden tractor, it is the perfect size! Also in the last picture you can see the battery box and its new location... I don't know if we're going to keep it there or not, I haven't had the 3-point on it yet so I don't know if it'll interfere with the 3-point operation. If it does then its gonna have to be changed. Also, some of the stuff in the pictures (like the lower radiator hose) are not permanant:). We have one of those electric fans hooked up to the radiator and when the engine is running hard at full throttle it keeps the water VERY cool, so there shouldn't be any problems with that. Anyways, at least its driveable now! Shouldn't be too much longer until its perfectly useable:). Anyways, if anyone has any questions or comments please post, I would like to hear any input. Have a great day! Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tractors101
Hello everyone, Thanks for all the comments, its taken quite a bit of work to get it from a thought to where it is but its been fun! Anyways, the engine is a Kubota D-600, it is 16hp. but seems to have tons of power. There is actually quite a bit of area inside the engine compartment, I've found a few other engines that would be excellent candidates for this tractor also but I think I'm just gonna stick with the diesel for now, lol. I've thought about putting kits together and I can't say whether or not yet if I'm going to end up doing that, we'll have to see when it gets done. I've got 3 of these tractors and I plan on putting these engines into all 3 of them and then selling 2 and keeping the 3rd one. At some point when its pretty much done I'll post a bunch of pictures showing all of the modifications that were necessary to make this conversion possible, the frame only got a few cuts in it to make this engine work... in other words not too many mods. were nessessary. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted, thanks! Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dieselman
When i put my lombardini In my peice together 920 i wanted to put it into a 720 AC but couldn't afford it. mine is a air cooled so i didn't have to worry about the radiater which i liked. How fast does your engine run. Mine runs 3600 RPM's It looks like you did a verry nice job on it. I know how that stuff goes it takes longer than you planed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×