Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

'62 Wards 725 Homecoming Some Pics

andy gartner

Well, Thanks to a generous PO (prev owner), I was able to bring home a package deal, that started with a sickle bar, and ended with, amongst other things, a one family Wards 725 Garden Mark Squire. The ad, languishing for over 2 months, in our classifieds, led to me calling him about a SB, and one thing led to another.

Andy, with a good bath and some wax it'll look almost new! Don't see many with tires like the ones on the back. Nice find. Chris

Looks good Andy. Still haven't heard of a Wards squire being orange yet. If that proves out to be OEM paint you may even have a rare find there. Can't tell for sure is you have a pie shaped steering wheel or not, noticed the hood hinge bolt is missing, maybe thats why. Whats on your clutch pedal? Looks like a good non-slip deal to me...MPH

andy, you dog! <---(meant in a good way). Nice find! What all came with it? If you ever see another one 'languishing' in an ad, and you aren't in the market, PM me, will ya? I've been looking around for better than a year for something like that, & nothing ever comes available here in Pitt. They're on ebay, but then it's in Wisconsin or somewhere. Congrats andy! Tacey

rokon2813: I'd like to do a full restoration, but I'd find too many excuses not to do it. But with andy's new tractor there, with minor cleanup, would be right up my alley. How much are you asking anyways? Does it run? Tacey

Just yesterday found a Montgomery wards squire 9, with mower deck. hasent run in a while guy wanted $100. tommorow i am going to look at 2 other tractors. also found a simplicity walk behind tractor. James K.

Well thanks all, this is fun! Tacey, you ol'fart...heck yes, I PM'ya if I see one again... PM-Dandy Dan has a sleeper there. An AC too. Might surprise after clean up. You are too much Dan! When did you get that one? Heck, I could have driven your way. Thanks for the neat pic Kent! Tacey, it came with all original manuals for everything, a sickle bar, snow/plow blade, a 10" plow, 42" deck, chains, and rear wheel weights. Most important of all, it came from a very generous, one owner family, who became willing to see it, into someone else's trust and care. And if you will permit some allegory or metaphor, at this time of Thanksgiving, sometimes treasure lays hidden before our very eyes, if we but see it.

Ok Andy face front. CLICK Turn to the left. CLICK Turn to the right. CLICK Just making sure you are in practice for the required shots. They will be needing for the wanted posters LOL. WTG nice find looks to be a fine tractor. And all the other stuff too man you will be in for a long stay for that one.

Sure You wanna keep that thing Andy? It was only worth 610 bucks new... The lift handle on the pic Kent posted looks really strange to me, like it would have to pivot about on the rear axle...MPH

Marty Discussed w/you and other Garu's of 725's including Daddycat... the 'orange' enigma remains. Gonna write Simplicity. Been over every inch, can't find bronze paint evidence, even under ser no tag. If poss. may pull front hood, rubber support caps, to see what's in there. People seem to think would be strange to repaint, to match orange implements??, then put Garden Mark labels back on. Steering wheel can see edge in pic. Rubber footrest, yes it's non-slipper, I guess. Lift handle goes way forward, almost hitting air cleaner. Have to move it to check cleaner. Hood bolts now in place, although I need the (2) proper mount bar spacers. What a glory, real AC type, seat back, and rotating, lifting, hood for ease of maintenance. Simplicity should never have given up on that. And a genuine stamped metal serial no. plate, to me, a manufacturer's mark and touch of quality, connoting their pride, in a vehicle. IMO, dislike aluminum tape ser. no. tags that disappear, and/or ser. nos. rub off like on my '63 Landlord. Cheesy for such a quality vehicle. Below orig manual w/eng ser. nos. written on front

Doesn't it seem odd that a 'Montgomery Ward' product would come with a 'Simplicity' owner's manual? I would think that Wards would have a different cover put on the book. Tacey

The lift handle on yours looks normal. The one that looks strange to me is in the picture Kent posted, the angle it is laying at is wrong. Looks like a motor cylce peg on your clutch. Looks appealing as my bunnt boots tend to slide off mine when plowing snow..MPH

I had a squire seat deck that I had sold earlier this year.It was all original with the nameplate on it and it was the same color red as yours.

I'm glad to see other monkey wards 725's out there. That is my first jaunt into tractors, my brother-in-law gave me his about 15 years ago. It only came with a mower deck. I did not have any info on the 725 until about 12 years ago when I saw an ad in popular mechanics mag. It said "I will never buy another tractor" and it was a man driving a 725 simplicity. I wrote to the company and they sent me an owners manual/parts list. It was love at first sight. John H PS she is still "hitting it" today at 40 years of age!!!

Say John H, Could you put a pic up of that owner's/parts manual? We have a guinine certifiable enigma going here. I assume that was a 60's pop mechanics you were looking at? Also was it a color ad? What color is your 725? KenK that Squire seat do you know what year it was from??? Marty, the manual is the same as the one in a Wards delivery kit advertised on ebay. Had a simpl manual, Kent was bidding on it. Ended Oct 24 and for some strange reason at the time the pics in the ebay auction disappeared too.??? Tacey Yes it does!

my 725 has the white seat with the back, while i have not yet check the serial # on it I believe it to be a 1961 or 1962, the original color is a orange for mine

Boney, does your seat have orange side panels or white ones? I take it that it is the original seat on a Simplicity 725. The seat pan that I posed on the parts Landlord had that same kind of matal plate for the Mfg. No. but it's so faded it's almost impossible to read.