Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Mounting

maxtorman1234

I was wondering if it is possible to take a vertical kohler and mount and use it horizontally. There are holes on the side to mount it both ways. I would probably have to alter the intake and oil dipstick but will this work? Thanks

No - the oiling systems are very different between horizontal and vertical engines. The carb and intake do not interchange either. This is true for pretty much any small engine. With some serious studying of parts manuals, you may be able to "convert" one though. Tim

Max, why would you have to do that on a 712? I just found a K series Kohler and just switched engines. My AC712S now has a K341 16hp in it. Almost no alteration was required. Dan

The twin cylinder engine is alot nicer than a single. I cant find too many horizontal twins up here. And, It's difficult to cut grass with the 917 and then have to use the 712...

Maxtorman, I did it, and it still works. here is the previous thread. [url]http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10682[/url]. I would be glad to help with any more questions once you get into it. I LOVE MY KAWASAKI!