Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My next dumb questions for the experts

rokon2813

My next dumb question for the experts is what is there on a 300 or 400 series tractor to look for to distinguish between the two ?? Am I mistaken; I thought 10 12 and 14 hp Kohlers were the same and 16s were different? Is the shaft size on a 12 hp the same as 14 or is 14 the same as 16? The reasoning is this. I have a 312 and a 416 with numbers I can read. Also have what I thought was a 414 But the head and crank size on the 414 is the same as the 416. And the deck and blower mounts under the 414 are the same as the 312. The only numbers I can find on the 414? anywhere is the 14 hp on the flywheel shroud. Will a 14 hp shroud fit a 16 hp engine? What do I have here besides total confusion? :(!

Ive been searching the site for a while. Was there even a Model 414?? All I can find is 410 and 416 in the 400 series.

Dan yes there was a 414. 400 series came in 410-3sp, 410s, 414s, and 416s & 416H models MFG#s 1600258, 1600259, 1600260, 1600261, 1600299. 400 Series Specs

300 Series Specs

Thanks Maynard. I found the 300 sheet but couldnt find the 400 sheet. I'm still not sure that I havent got a 414 but a 314 instead.

Dan The steering wheel is diffrent on a 300 than on a 400. The shaft on a 300 is splined with a large nut under the center cap of the wheel. The 400 wheel has a bolt and nut that pass through the shaft side to side not up and down. Hope that helps.

Front axles are different. The 300 series is a Totally enclosed welded piece while the 400 series has a open axle made of heavy steel Flat.The 310 had a manual PTO clutch while the 410 & 416 had a electric as did the 312D and 314.

Thanks everyone. It is a 314 for sure. By the steering wheel and by the front axle and also by the 300 series HD 46" snow plow that mounted right up today.;):D:D

I've been told this fits a 300 series John.

With this style hitch, I've been told you need an adapter plate?

There is one other member interested ahead of you but he was trying to hold off till after the holidays if noone else asked before that. I will get in touch with him before I can commit to anyone else.

It would after the new year before $$ available It is some thing that I will keep on the back burner for now. But my tractor also has electric lift.

The front PTO idler brackets are different from the 300 to 400 series tractors.The 300 series is wider and bolts on to the frame of the tractor.The 400 series bracket is narrower and attatches to the frame with quick pins.Because of the wide front PTO bracket on the 300 an odd hitch system is used.There are plates mounted the the frame behind the front wheels that snow blower attatches to.It looks like the snow blower pictured above is for a 400 series and would require a hitch adapter to use on a 300 series.A normal snow blade can be used on a 300 with the PTO bracet removed.