Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Has anyone made their own tiller tine extensions?

Chris727

I have a 36" tiller I use on the B110 and I was thinking of making a tine extension kit simmilar to the factory one. I know of a Simplicity Roticul with simmilar looking tines. If they'll fit onto my tiller, the hood extensions look easy enough to make. If it works like I'm thinking, it would be similar to the factory set and should bring it to about 46". Would a 46" tiller be too much for the 10HP? I know a guy with a 30HP 3cyl diesel JD and it runs a 50" tiller. Any suggstions appreciated. Chris

Chris, IMO, you'd be asking an awful lot out of a 10 HP, unless the ground was already loose... I have a factory set of tine extensions for my 32" tiller -- and don't really use them -- because the 10HP can't easily handle 42" in this rocky New England soil, once it's packed down....

Kent, I also have a 7013 Baron that I'm going to put a 16HP briggs on:D, so if the B110 doesn't have enough power:( I'll surely have another tractor to use it on. In reality I need a much smaller tiller for cultivating like one of those "mini tillers." But I have a lot of garden to till for fall and spring so I figure to justify a bigger tiller I can just make a bigger garden;)

I don't think Horsepower is much of an issue here. My experience has been that the tillers don't require near as much HP as the Blowers and Mower decks do. I once made some extensions from the outer tine assemblies from a 30" Broadmoor tiller. Worked fine. Had to cut the sleeves down a little and make some cover extensions from the 30" tillers cover. Never tried using a walk behind for parts.