Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snowblower

patrician12

I just picked up a beautiful 42" snowthrower for my 916 Allis.Complete with a mint owners manual.The thing looks awesome.How do they work in real life?How many inches of snow can they handle and how far can it throw it?Should I keep my snowblade handy or will this do the job?Thanks

They work great. In some of the harder snows, I have gone into drifts that were higher than the tractor hood. Make my pass until I "tunnel" the snowblower and the overhang of the drift is touching the hood. Back out, knock down the overhang and hit it again. You may find that your snowblade remains in storage after you mount the snowblower. As to how far they throw the snow, that depends on the type of snow, and your traveling speed. I don't think throwing snow 20 feet high and over twenty feet to the side is too much of an exageration. The snow is fairly evenly spread when you use the snowthrower so you don't really see any buildup above the natural snowfall level. Pat

If you get a real wet slushy snowfall you will probably want your blade otherwise the blower works real nice...I like to have one tractor with a blower mounted and another tractor with the blade...that way you have the best of both..

Mowerman what is that giant weight on the back of your tractor?Do I really need that?I thought chains would suffice.

If you live in areas where there aren't problems with "SLUSH" and temperatures hoovering around 32 degress like you DON'T have in the northern states and the higher elevations where you get either rain or snow, the snow blower will take care of most all your needs, and very well.

Here's some action shots from one of last year's big storms in New England... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=13905&SearchTerms=snowblower

Thanks for that link Kent. I missed all them pictures being in Dutch Harbor last Feb. Guess they explain why you guys were 'burnned out' on snow removal by spring...MPH

Your all set. That baby should move any snow you get. If you get a real diluge of snow or a lot of wet slush, just take smaller bites. Remember to keep your engine rpm up. Mine shoots out a blizzard of about 20+feet. I would suggest wheel weights for the rear tires, and chains if you have any good hills to traverse. If you find a snow cab, think about getting it; its like clearing snow and sitting in the lap of luxury. I'm in Minnesota, where we get lots of snow. I've been using my simplicity rig with blower for over 25 years and I haven't been stopped yet. (Might be a good idea to keep an extra v-belt on hand-use simplicity belts, they last a whole lot longer. ENJOY

That is a factory pin on weight for the Broadmoors...I didn't have any wheel weights at the time but I had this pin on weight..It helped alot for traction on the Broadmoor..The bigger tractors are heavier and may not need weights...I know I don't use any weights on my Wheel Horse...and that has a blade to push the snow instead of the blower to chew it up and spit it out of your way,LOL