Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery drainage

KenK

When moving the fleet around in the garage today.My B12 had a dead battery,the battery is new and always started.I charged the battery and it's fine now.I'm wondering if the starter gen. could be draining it while sitting.

Don't know about the S/G, but a grounded ammeter will drain the battery. Had one on my B207E that took about two weeks to drain a charged battery.

My 9hp Landlord has had a problem with a regulator sticking and draining the battery.The clue was the ammeter showing a slight discharge. Of course it's not really the right one being off an old 700 but........

With the S/G system and everthing off and not rotating, there should be no current movement. Quickest way to track it down, it lift the ground cable off battery, turn off house lights, tap cable on ground post on battery. If you have the slightest of spark, there is a problem. It then becomes a matter of lifting one wire at a time and observing for a spark via the above method. At least you can narrow it down and then ask more questions. Remeber this, ALWAYS disconnect on ground side of battery for your checks. Just like the operators manuals always state, ground cable off first and on last.

easier and safer still is disconnect battery cable either ground or positive and connect a test light between the cable and the battery post if bulb lights you have a drain. disconnect one circuit at a time to find drain. "Caution" do not I repeat do not tap ground cable or positive cable to battery post. A spark can cause battery to explode. Sparks and batteries are bad news. You do not want a battery exploding in your face. Been there done that.

;)As per Maynards post. One of my first jobs as a "younger" fella was at a local gas station. The owner showed what Maynard is saying very simpley. Take a card board coffee cup of soapy water, run a tube from a charging battery into the water. once you have a head of bubbles, take it outside. Step back and toss a lit match into that cup of innocent looking bubbles. BE CAREFULL!! It is going to blow up!! You will be very amazed! It should give you a whole new respect for charging batteries!!! ;)And you never heard this from me.

I had the same problem with the battery going dead. I tested the circuit and it only showed discharge when I had the key in the run position. I must have somehow left it in the run position. Battery is ok now though. :)

Well I found the problem with the dead battery.I charged it fully and tested it.I come to the conclusion when putting the load tester on .That the battery is no good.Good thing its under warranty yet.^

I have typically used a hydrometer to test a battery. Charge it, take off the surface charge and then check each cell. If any cell is not up the the rest, the battery is toast.