Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mowerman1193

Throddle/Choke cables??

mowerman1193
I have a couple questions about the control cables... First what does everyone do when you need to replace them??I can't seen to find them at jacks small engines with the part number in the manual...but I think that number is for the whole assembly and I only need just the cables... I need to replace them on 2 of my 717's and my 728...right now I would like to get them on the 728 as I have that one all hooked up with the blower and weights.. Do they have a place to buy different length cables?? If not my local dealer tells me they can make them up for me if I tell them how long I need them...Problem is the throddle cable was gone from the thractor when I got it...Anyone know the length of them?? Like to get this squared away before I but the battery back in as there is more room to work...Getting tired of reaching up to the motor every time I want to change enginge speed... Thanks

Kent
You can use inexpensive aftermarket cables (like from WalMart) on the dual sliding lever type controls -- if you'll carefully bend the prongs on the back and remove the old cable housing, then crimp it back around the new housing. I did that on my Big Ten.... Just get a very long, universal one, and cut it to fit once you've routed the cable...

mowerman1193
Kent,how do you hook them up after you cut it??Do you have one of those cable (Z) benders or do you just bend it with pliers...I see those Z benders on Ebay quite often and thought about buying one..I wonder how well they work.. I will probably just have my local dealer make them up for me this time...was kinda hoping to just find a place that had them on the shelf.. Greg,Thanks for the measurements...

Kent
I use a pair of vice grips to hold it, and a pair of needle nose to bend it... It takes some "fiddling with" to get the right bends in it, but what on these oldies doesn't.... :D

Al
HI, We replace the cables in a lot of tractors. Usually the cable has a ferrule crimped on the housing. I spread the ears on the bracket around ferrule and remove it. I lightly clamp the ferrule in a vise. Next I take a vise grip and grip the housing and "UNSCRREW" and pull it out of the ferrule. After the housing is out, I take the ferrule out of the vise and stand it on end. I then take an 1/8" pin punch [or the size of the housing] and drive it into the ferrule to strech the origninal crimp out. Then lay the ferrule on a hard surface and with the punch in pound lightly on the ferrule as I rotate it. This loosens up the punch and pushes the crimps out some more. Next pull the punch out and push a cut length of housing in the ferrule. With the housing in, open a vise to about an 1/8 of an inch. Lay the ferrule in the vise jaws. The jaws should come about 1/3 of the way around the ferrule. Take a Center punch and punch the ferrule 2 places straight down against the vise, turn the ferrule and cable housing 1/3 turn and repeat. One more 1/3 turn repeat. The punch marks must crimp the ferrule on the housing, but not be so deep that they distort or crush the cable housning. We do this often when we have to rescue a hard to get OEM cable. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Good luck, Al Eden

Al
Hi, I forgot to add, most dealers should have bulk wire and housing. We prefer to use the housing that has a plastic lining and plastic cover on the outside. These normally don't freeze up or rust and get sticky. Al Eden

PatRarick
I buy the conduit,(outer cable) and inner wire seperately, in bulk. Believe the conduit comes in 50' lengths and the inner wire in 100 foot lengths. I also purchased a control cable kit. Comes with ferrules, stops, clamps, and plastic nuts that thread on the cable. Also have the "Z" bender. It's a great little tool, but bends too big of a "Z" for my likes. I altered mine with a file to get the bend I want. Seems to me that I paid somewhere around $40 total for the works. Awfully handy to have around when messing with this equipment. Pat

HubbardRA
As others have said above, I make my own. I usually just buy a universal unit that is longer than I need and cut it to size. Usually have an extra lever on the wall of the garage that is a remnant of one of these modifications.

dhardin
I have a similar problem now. I freed up a rusted set of cables on my Lanlord 101, worked out some of the bends on the end, oiled it up, thought it was going to work so i wire buffes all I could. Then painted the set and hung them on my overhead door track to dry. Alls well till I opend the dang grardge door and bent then all up again real bad. Stupid me. well now I plan to get new cables and may not paint them, or at least wont hang them over my door track again. Daaaa Some where in my tool box i have a pair of the wire benders to make quick and pro looking bends that hook into the carb and throtle & chock contol arms.