Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
reif

slips out of 2nd gear-6216

reif
I have a 6216 (gear transmission that won't stay in 2nd unless I hold the lever in place. doesn't appear to be the linkage so I am wondering if it is something inside the transmission. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

johnerj
Hi Tom, check the shift lever for play from side to side. If there is too much play it will not engage into gear all the way. Tighten the bolt up a bit, but be sure to leave a little play. Then test, and let us know what you find, and we can go from there. I am suggesting this because I recently purchased a 6011 tractor for $80 because the fella that owned it said the revers gear was bad, but turned out the problem was the shift lever being loose. Always hope for the simple things. John

wrisleyk
Tom, I just rebuilt the same transmission, I think, on my 5211. It is a Peerless type with Bentonite grease. It is a breeze to work on. I believe second gear has some wear on the engagement teeth that grap the drive pins. If it were all forward gears I would think it would be the pins themselves. My transmission was very jerky in second gear, almost like the belt would slip now and then. It turned out to be two things. There was a large amount of surface rust between second and first gear and I think it was causing the two gears to bind a little. The other thing was the guide the shift pins ride in has a small burr in it near second gear. I filed down the burr and rust and she works like new. You can find the replacement grease in a 32oz tube at your local dealer. Don't use regular grease in it, it won't last long. By the way when you split the case don't lose the ball bearing for the sifter detent. You can reload it, with the spring, from the top of the case through a recessed screw. Good luck! Keith

johnerj
Keith, the 6216 takes all purpose hydro fluid. I use Valvaline in mine. When surching for a replacement trans Simplicity told me it was a Simplicity made Transmission. The numbers did not match any after market types such as peerless. If there is a problem on the inside I would think the shift ball is not engaging in the shift bracket. Maybe the spring is wore or the little ball that slips in the groove on the shaft is worn. John