Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 12hp????

Glacier

Took the cover off of the front pto shaft to change the seal ( due to leaking) did not notice the geared counter weight inside until I set the cover on the bench. I'm not to sure what position the weight should be in when I put the cover back on. And also what is the function of the weight? Timing? Or what? Thanks in advance for any info. Need to get it back together, Big snow storm here(Mn) this weekend. Thanks, Jeff

Those are the counterweight gears to keep the vibration down. There is a timing screw in a line-up hole that you put a sharp tool in to line up the counterweights. Remove the timing screw and line up the gear so a nail or other sharp tool can be inserted to keep it line up as you replace the cover.

There is a small screw on the bottom of the cover. Remove the screw , and insert a 1/8'' steel dowl or end of a 1/8'' drill bit to line the counter weight up. Then put the cover back on and torque the screws. Be sure to put the gasket washer back on the small screw you removed from the bottom of the cover. John

HOLD ON!! The piston must be at TOP DEAD CENTER when you time the gears as described. These are balance gears and they must work opposite the crankshaft throw. To make the job easier, use the valve cover screws in the timing holes. They screw right in, and the unthreaded portion fits right in the timing weight alignment hole. Just remember to remove them and replace the plug screw before you attempt to turn the engine. Pat

Thanks for the info guys never had one apart before and did not have a clue what to do when putting it back together. Info. on this site is unbleiveable!!! Makes a guy feel good when you can get great help from people you don't even know. Thanks again, Jeff

NorthTexasSwede
I've only been part of SimpleTractors for a short time, but I can readily see the members that look over this site are RESPONSIBLE.