Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pulling with a 3410

john-holcomb

:DHere in west Michigan we pull garden tractors on a dead weight stone boat. Stock classes limit tire size to 23-12.00-12 with stock sheet metal and stock carb. As with most dead weight pulls HP is not always the answer but balance and traction are. I was told that the Allis 314's and the Massey 16's were unbeatable in our area. [they were very modified in the engine room]But I took my little stock 3410 out after them anyway. Results for the year in 8 pulls are: 950# [1] 1st. 1050# [2]1st [1] 2nd. [1]3rd. 1150# [5] 1st [1] 2nd. [1] 3rd. I won the 1150# point championship and was 3rd. in points at 1050#. I guess they were right when they said it not the size of the dog in the fight, as I always had the least HP of anyone in my class. I wonder what I could do with my wifes 7013 that has a 16 hp briggs in it. John

John's 3410 is not a shuttle. It is a three speed. I can vouch for his good performances. Good looking tractor too. The club he runs with is a fun bunch of people. They start at 550lb(?) and go up 100lbs at a time - I have pulled my mongrel of a 717 Broadmoor with them a couple of times in the 550, 650, and 750 class. Might have been at an even 500 a couple years ago. The competition was tough, and my only edge was letting the tires down to about 2psi, which not only led to great traction and a win, but a new tube in one tire - spun the wheel and ripped the stem. To make the 750, I had the deck under it(no belt), and sat on a Ford 100lb suitcase weight. Good fun. See ya on the track. Tim

Hey that sounds like alot of fun...I alway thought about pulling in a stock class just for fun...When I was restoring my Massey MF12 I bought some parts from a local guy that was in a pulling club.He pulled with Masseys mainly stock class and he invited me to his mothers house where they have a track to pull on...He also said he pulled for a couple years with a Broadmoor 707 and 717...I might give it a try sometime...

Was that with Fast Farmers? Seems like when I pulled my 7016 with Andy it was at his mothers farm. Good group of guys there too - but they run hard with some hot stuff. Got my butt kicked by them. Tim