Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
happy

Hi-Lo Trans

happy
Obvious but ignorant questions. Whats a hi-lo get a guy. I think its the same as a sherman trans on a ford farm tractor, but can somebody spell it out for me? Whats it used for? What do I look for if I'm buying one?

Kent
The High-Low transmission setups give you 6 forward speeds to choose from, to best match your ground speed to whatever task you're doing, while keeping throttle setting constant... They're very useful for going very slow, like when tilling or using a snowblower in DEEP snow. As another exampley, they also help when using a mower deck by giving you speed choices to match how much grass you're cutting....

mowerman1193
I dont know but I dont think you would need one on a variable tractor because your variable lever should slow you down for those purposes...Plus I dont think they will work on one anyway....I think you could get some use out of one on the B-10 though..

thedaddycat
The engineering would be challenging, and a hydro will do the same thing better. There's really no point in adapting a Hi-Lo to the variable, but I've worked out at least a theoretical solution to doing it.....