Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hi-Lo Trans

happy

Obvious but ignorant questions. Whats a hi-lo get a guy. I think its the same as a sherman trans on a ford farm tractor, but can somebody spell it out for me? Whats it used for? What do I look for if I'm buying one?

The High-Low transmission setups give you 6 forward speeds to choose from, to best match your ground speed to whatever task you're doing, while keeping throttle setting constant... They're very useful for going very slow, like when tilling or using a snowblower in DEEP snow. As another exampley, they also help when using a mower deck by giving you speed choices to match how much grass you're cutting....

Kent, your explaination, along with what it will do for a guy makes me want one. Are you in sales? I've got a b-10 and a few 3212v's, are the hi-lo's I see for sale interchangeable between the two?

I dont know but I dont think you would need one on a variable tractor because your variable lever should slow you down for those purposes...Plus I dont think they will work on one anyway....I think you could get some use out of one on the B-10 though..

Mowerman is correct. They won't work on a variable speed, only on a standard 3-speed... (or 2-speed, in the case of the oldest Broadmoors).

The engineering would be challenging, and a hydro will do the same thing better. There's really no point in adapting a Hi-Lo to the variable, but I've worked out at least a theoretical solution to doing it.....

Kirk, You are always working out a theory for something! What a blessing to have a mind that works like that. Does life ever get dull for you?

Yes, a Hi-Lo kit was available for the B-10. I have two of them, one of which is a NOS kit with everything but the manual......