Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

To Paint or Not to Paint

Agricola

I have read quite a few discussions on selling and parting out. What do you folks feel about buying items. Would you rather have something rusty to purchase or something that has a good coat of paint on it, even if it is freah paint?

I would rather purchase a rusty unit that has not been cleaned up. If something is "too clean", you can't really tell if there is a problem. I usually check a clean machine for signs of new looking paint around potential leaky areas. The paint is protected by the coating of oil and accumulated dirt. When this is cleaned off, you can easily see the difference in the original faded or weathered finish. If it has been cleaned and painted, these problems are easily concealed. Pat

I look for the old rusty you can have it or its going to the dump tractors... The hobbie of these tractors to me is taking a old rust hunk of iron and making it pretty...or making it run for a working machine... I dont want a pretty one to work to get dirty and scratched and I dont want a nice one because there wouldn't be any playing to do with it other than look at it...

See my opinion in this related topic: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24208 IMO, painting a tractor to sell it is essentially a waste of your time. You might get back the money invested out of your pocket, but little, if anything for the time spent...

My take on these tractors is remove and kill the rust, paint as close to right color as available and use them. The 3 I've done so far I call preserved, not restored. Can't stand to see rust eatting away the battery box/gas tank area and anything below it because at sometime, a battery was left to freeze in it. So, While I have one apart to fix something that is keeping it from being useable, normally have to wait for parts, I clean it up...Got a little carried away on the 725, but it still has the signs of age on it, pitting in the seat pan, battry area, a few dimples in the tin. I admire some of the machines some guys here actually restore, and keep for show, but the only show tractor I'd like to have is a 75th anniv. edition...MPH

As seen in many previous posts, there is a lot of opinions about the true AC yellow shade. I guess that would leave me to believe that maybe cleaned and primered would be better, them the new owner may paint it to his shade. IMHO;)

I'd prefer something left alone so I can go over it first myself. You never know what you'll find, stencils and decals are two things I've seen taken off with "a good cleaning". While restoration is nice and we've all seen some beautiful examles of that art exhibited here and at shows, to me an original unrestored that's been well cared for is the ultimate goal of a collector. With them, you know there is no doubt as to what the factory color or anything else was because you have an example right there in front of you......

I agree with Kent. Keep your cost down, and sell the parts for a price that a buyer will be happy with. When folks are looking for some of these hard to find parts, I'd bet they wouldn't care if it's nice and shiny. Chances are, it won't match the color they're using anyway. Just my cent and a half. Rob