Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord hood Bolts

MPH

Before I just learn to live with it, thought I'd ask if any of you guys with the recent tractor motherloads have an excess of the 5/16in 't' handled bolts for holding the hood on. Between the Landlord and the B-112 I could use 7 of them...thanks..MPH

Hi, I have some made.Just like the orginal ones.Try to go to a machine shop see if they can make you some up.I may have some extras i will have to look.Let me know Tony

Seems to me someone places an ad in the classifieds once in a while for some they make up. Also check out: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=20544&SearchTerms=hood

I have a question about these as well...Has anyone bought them from jacks small engines??I took my part number for them and jacks shows a new part number...just wondering what the new ones are like...they must not be close to the originals or others wouldn't go through the trouble of making them ect... I seen the ad here in the classifieds and sent an email to see a picture..I still have not got a reply....that was 6 months ago,LOL...Maybe he didn't get my mail or something...Now that we can post photos in the ads I bet he could sell alot of them if he posted a photo ad..

MPH and others, I am going to make some as soon as I get something built to store my tractors in, as of now I can't get to my machines because of tractors.[:0] I am going to try to make some from stainless so rust will not be a problem, if I can get a decent straight knurl on it!

I did some surfing and found these. It is a 5/16-18 x1 1/2 They are from Grainger. They only sell to companies with accounts and not the general public. They sell for $3.39 a piece. Not sure if these will do but its an option. If alot of you want them I'll concider makeing an order. Not sure how to handle the shipping part but Im sure we can come up with something. Elon

You can get some nice ones "CHEAP" from McMaster-Carr. They have a lot of different types to chose from. I have seen them on Ebay go for $30 a set. To much money in my opinion for a simple thumb screw. I know they are not original, but they are inexpensive and they do the trick. John

John are thouse the plastic ones? I would worrie about them breaking in the cold. Or if they get rusted in. I belilve the thread is steel but the thumb part is plastic. Not sure how they would hold up. Any one have these to let us know? Elon

You can get them in any type of material you want. Stainless steal, Zinc plated, Black cold rolled, plastic, brass. They have tons of styles and types of materials. Also knurled head, washer head, slotted head,narrow head, high head, low head, hex head, spade head, like I said just pages to chose from. John

The simplicity # changes to a basic type bolt,which I really don't think any of us are interested in.I know I'm not.I have looked through the McMaster-Carr web site and they have got some that are very close.

Here is one that I like. Thumb Screws 2 items match your selections System of Measurement Inch Size 5/16"-18 Length 3/4" Head Style Shoulder Screw Type Knurled Head Diameter 1-1/4" Material 18-8 Stainless Steel | Black-Oxide Finish Steel

Well Marty, You ol' dirty dog, you've finally come to it!! You've arrived and had the revelation. Son you've seen the light. This is what the Universe has been complaining about since the Landlord was born up until ??? the 4000 series (ok when???) when Simplicity saw the light and returned to raising hoods on their tractors, so one could check 'Under the hood,' before each voyage. Yes Marty, just like your favorite 725, a genuine rotating, raising hood. Why ever did they give up on this idea??!!? Even the AC B110 has a scoop for battery axcess and gas. So now you have the reason, I could send the Landlord packing someday, as I like to check 'under' before every departure. To wit, good suggestions above, nice looking bolts, and someone DID HAVE AN AD in the classifieds WITH THE HOOD BOLTS HAVING THUMB/FOREFINGER RODS, for ease of use, which they had made up. Yes, I have it somewhere, but it could be next year before I find it. So hopefully it will be revealed...again. Happy Thanksgiving ya'all! andy almost heaven

Don't the Landlord Bolts have a pin running through the head? Can we take a McMaster Carr or Grainger and adapt it? If people are having a problem getting stuff from either, drop me a line and I can see what I can do. I have a MC warehouse less than a mile from my house.( I have never done personal business with them yet) and two Grainger stores within 3 miles. I have done over the counter business with them.

I was thinking the same thing about adding the rod. I have a lot of extra 5mm stainless rods here at work. I also have quite a bit of 15mm stainless rods if anyone needs to make a lift rod just let me know. I also have a Mcmaster not too far, but I just have them UPS to my work because we buy from them weekly, so they just add to a company package.

My experience with Grainger is anyone can walk in to the counter area and buy what they want. And yes the Landlord and B series has a pin running through them. I would think that if exactness is an issure, it would be easy enough to duplicate. If the ones from Simplicity are the original, why bother with trying to make them? Am I the only one who has a problem with the screws not staying tight? The catches are hard to get engaged properly and keep them tight, at least on my two Bees.

As mentioned above, in my posto, These bolts with the rods have already been made up, by someone in the club. Ergo, you don't have to add anything. You just have to find the old ad. They were somewhere between $15-25 for a set of 4. DaleC...You are not alone...we feel you pain buddy, many have the same problemo, how could they not? Unless they modified, the screwy, stock system. a

I need one to complet my set on my Lanlord 101. But mine are all rusty, i think they where originally chrome and whis i could get it back chrome again without panying a arm and a leg.

I've successfully spray-painted some of the old rusty ones with silver or chrome paint... just brushed the heck out of them with a drill & wire brush... Also, I've ordered from McMaster-Carr online several times, with never a problem and always quick delivery....

dhardin, I believe they come rusty, 40 years later, I wire brush them with a soft wheel on the benchgrinder then give them a couple coats of clear coat. Not sure how long it'll look good. Found some stainless steel wing nuts in an oldfashion Sentry Hardware store in Fairbanks. If thier 30 bucks a pop rare, think I'll stick with my plan to JB weld a stud into the wing nuts. Also found the 1/4in square nuts that pop into the sq holes in that store, plus spped nuts to hold the Chrome 725 emblem on. All sorts of little goodies didn't know I could buy up here. Pop-in sq nuts were 1.30 each, but man, they are hard to salvage. Andy, is there something holding your hood from flopping over into your grill?? Also, how do you open it with your steering wheel on backwards. The bite out of the pie should be on top..MPH

Forget Graingers, McMaster-Carr and JB Weld............ Simplicity addressed the problems of lost hood thumb screws, rusting hardware, rattling loose fasteners, damaged grills, poor engine accessibility, and even the upside down steering wheel. Here's how Simplicity did it > http://www.simpletractors.com/images/700_series_images/700_cut_sm.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Dang Herb, we just ain't never gonna get you to enjoy a touch of class are we..MPH
He just seems to enjoy complexity and plastic, I guess... since plastic doesn't rust...