Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire Q

Boney

being new to this great hobbie there is a tire Q I need help with. It seems to me that rims are not very expensive so why do so many people put 10" tires on 8.5" rims ? Is there some advantage of this that I do not know of ? I have talked with old timer snow plow guys and they have told me that the skinniy tires are better for traction in the snow because the wider tires float on the snow while the skinny tires tend to cut through the snow better. Forgive me if I am missing something obvious, the last riding mower i had was a Lock Mower P.S happy turkey day to all

The old timers are right on skinnyy tires digging in better on snow. More pounds.sq inch hitting the road. Fat tires on snow are good skies. Where do find 10inch rims cheap? Haven't come up with a soruce up here yet..MPH

quote:
Originally posted by Boney
... why do so many people put 10" tires on 8.5" rims ?
One reason is they look good. Some think 12" look even better. Hmmm..... I wonder how 18" would look? How about dual 18"?

I put 10.50's on the back of my B-110 because the 8.5" wheels were shot. It looks pretty mean (as mean as a 110 could look) with skinny minnies on the front. I borrowed the 10.50's off the 920, which is waiting for an engine, so I put the spare tires from the Lumina on the back of it. That looks even meaner with 15" car tires! I haven't noticed any advantage on the 110. None of this has any reference to your question, but I thought I'd share my story. Happy Thanksgiving! Rob