Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Resident Wheel Horse Guru's

rokon2813

Anything anyone can tell me about a Wheel Horse A - 90 ?? How old , what size briggs is it? I thought all the old wheelhorse were horizontal shaft engines, this is vertical. Also have one without the model number (painted over). Looks pretty similar but the hood is about 8 inches longer.

I'll get some pics tomorrow in the daylight. I stopped to look at a Simp snow blower and ended up with 2 wheel horse tractors, 1 wheel horse deck, one wheel horse snowblower, the simp snow blower and 2 NOS Simp or A/C lift arms for one money.

The A-90 was first introduced in 1974.Then it looks like it was dropped for 1975 but then picked back up for 1976-1977 then I think it was dropped again...as I don't see any info on it after that...

They started making a cheaper set of tractors in the A & B series using vertical shaft engines and lower grade transmissions in the early 70's. Most I see are in the Junk category either from a bad tranny or bad engine. A very few parts from the B series types will interchange with the bigger tractors in the C series. Not sure about the A's.

Thanks guys. The one with the longer hood supposedly ran a year or so ago. No idea on the A-90 yet. Should know tomorrow. Probly ebay them anyway. Let a wh collector play with them. Wrong color for me but the price was worth the effort of resale I hope.

Here They Are: A-90 [img]/club2/attach/rokon2813/nov28517.jpg[/img] Did a little sanding to see this is a B-111

Here is the blower I'm gonna let go with the B

Since the B-111 is an 11 hp is the A-90 a 9 hp? There is no flywheel shroud on it so no numbers. By the way, they both run and don't smoke.

Hi, A number of years ago we changed out 2 L 181 Kohler Vertical shaft engines out of early Wheel Horses. They had a vertical shaft and were basically a k 181. Kohler at that time no longer listed them in the parts books and I have never seen any data on these engines, I still have them. We replaced them with 8 B&S. Anybody know anything about these engines? Al Eden

I don't know anything about the L 181...Also as far as I know Wheel Horse only used Briggs or Tecumseh for their Vertical shaft tractors...