Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pump flow reversal?

Scott Salmons

I know that this was discussed a while back, on installing a diesel engine in a 720 AC about engine rotation. Marks solution of installing the engine reversed is one solution, but didn't someone mention that it would be possible to reverse the lines on the pump? What problems would be created in doing this? Seems like a simple solution. Another would be to make a gear box to reverse the output rotation. I would like to install the engine in the "normal" orientation if possible.

Scott, Normally a hydro pump doesn't distinguish bretween forward and reverse, the only thing that cares is the charge pump and the input to the hydro pump that care. These are all cast in the case and feed the pump. These are rotation sensitive. The Legacy tractors have the engine mounted with the flywheel to the front and the hydro driven off the end of the crankshaft. This is very common when units are powered with air cooled and liquid cooled engines alternately. I am not sure, but I think some of the John Deeres are done the same way. Not the compact diesels, but the Garden Tractors. The only simple soulution would be to turn the rear end around and drive it from the shaft that dirves the rear PTO. This would be true in the Legacy case as it has the input shaft going out the back also. I don't see an advantage to trying to change all this because the mower that runs off the front clutch would also run backwards. It is easier to pipe water. Also in the Legacy case the cool air is drawn into the radiator from the console area and blows out the grille. My thoughts, they are free, so value accordingly. Al Eden