Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
richp

Mulching attachment for 48" deck

Fred
4-30-99 @ 21:54

Ed,

I cannot help you with your mulching question but I
would like to know how you like you Sovereign tractor.
I am giving serious consideration to buying a new one.
Would love to find a recent, good, used one.

Thanks,
Roy

richp
I have a 7116 Sovereign tractor with the 48" deck. Simplicity doesn't make a mulching kit to fit this deck. Even though their latest brochure says their kit will fit all decks up to 50". Does anyone have any experience building the parts to convert this deck to a mulching deck?

Kent
Hi ED, You are correct about the mulching kit not offered for Simpicity tractors with the deep mower deck. Here's what I did and have had mostly good results. I installed different mower blades called gatorblades. These can be found now at most lawn tractors dealers but may have to be ordered. Where the normal blades are just bent upward opposite the cutting edge the gator blades have v-shaped notches where the upward bend is. These v-notches actually cut the grass many more times after the sharp edge cuts them first. I noticed a difference with just the gator blades alone. But I took a heavy rubber mud flap that would be used on a semi-tractor and cut it to size to cover the deck outlet and then drilled holes in the deck support runs along the bottom at the outlet and bolted the cut piece of rubber to it. Then if the flap is not needed I can remove it. Also these blades are great for multching leaves also with the flap in place. Now if the grass is to wet or tall I just take the flap off. I have been useing these blades for about 3 years now and have found them to be of a high quility. Now this is just a suggestion that has worked for me. If your interested and can't locate them contact Mark at University Lawn-Pontiac Mich. # 248-373-7220 as thats where I bought mine. Please if you do try them will you post a message and let us all know how they worked for you. They aren't much more $ then standard blades. Best of Luck-->jackl<--

I'm with Jack. I love the gator blades--they had a whole new level of efficiency to the cut. I have also made a makeshift flap using hinges and a folded piece of 16 gauge galvinized sheet metal. It's been working fine for about 2 seasons now.