Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Al

Continue Talking Tractors?

Al
Hi, I know this is the wrong forum, but this is the forum I follow and I enjoy all of you very much. If this needs to be censored or moved, do what is necessary. In 1983 we won a cruise and in 85 a trip to Acapulco with Simplicity and a number of dealers. On both of these trips Rex Hoffman, Hoffmans Simplicity in Warsaw, Indiana was there and we became friends. About 10 years ago Rex called me and asked? “Al, do you get a physical every year”? I said: “Hell no, there isn’t anything wrong with me”!!!! He said: “I’m serious.” “ I have prostate cancer and the only way they found it was, a physical”! Had my wife said it, I would have blown it off, but he was 500 miles away and he sat on me. I started doing so. About 2 yrs. ago in Dec I went for my physical. My PSA had gone from 2.8 to 4.2. Four is where they take a second look. My Dr. could find no other symptoms and she suggested I see an urologist, I did, and he found nothing. He told me I could wait 6 months and get it rechecked, or we could do a biopsy and be 92% sure. I had NO SYMPTOMS!!! I elected to have the biopsies. When they take the biopsies they use ultrasound to guide them. No symptoms showed on the ultrasound. They took 6 biopsies. I left, happy as a clam. Three days later I got a call. I had cancer. I went in and 2 were Gleason 5 cancer, 2 were questionable and 2 clean. I then had a bone scan, and all was well there. I elected to have radioactive seeds implanted. In the meantime my colonoscopy came back and I had colitis. My urologist called and said I could not do the radiation, as it would irritate the colitis. My choice was surgery. I had my prostate removed in March. When I was ready to leave the hospital, my urologist came in and told me: “Your colitis was a blessing in disguise.” “I just got the pathologist report back and the cancer was all through my prostate and was a Gleason 7 and was touching the capsule in 2 places”. Also if we would have done the radiation it would not have “gotten” it, and I would not have been able to have surgery as tissue that has been treated with radiation won't heal from surgery. As advanced as my cancer was, it would soon have penetrated the capsule and gotten in my pelvis and lymph glands. Once it was in the bone, there would have been nothing they could do to stop it, only slow it. I owe Rex and a very thorough Dr my future. I enjoy this forum and all of you. IF YOU ARE OVER 45 GIVE YOURSELVES AND ME A CHRISTMAS PRESENT, GET A PHYSICAL!!! Then some of you may continue TALKING TRACTORS and I can continue to enjoy you. I feel very strongly about this and apologize for “misusing” this forum. Merry Christmas, Al Eden

ambler
Looks like you have much to be thankful for Al. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer six years ago. We had four operations and chemo the first year. a year and a half later she was diagnosed metastatic, bone scan lit up like a christmas tree. Three and a half years we have been battling it. Six months of taxol every week this year. Cancer started progessing again and Monday we start oral chemo. One thing I know from this experience is that we only have today. The tractor thing for me is a form of therapy. Many others on this site have had their share of troubles its scary but we must go on and live life to the fullness of our capabilities.

tanman722001
Hi,You was lucky and to have a frend that cared.I,m only 31 know but when i was 21 i had testecal cancer and it scared the heck out of me but so far no cancer Thank God.Sorry for the spelling.But Your never to young to have any kind of cancer so get check out early.So everyone can be here and talk about there tractors and help people with theres Thanks Tony

JoeJ
Al, Your very lucky sir. And also a wake up call. At 55 my doc been pushing for the camera up the back door, and I been saying no way. Perhaps it's time to bite the bullet. Thank you! Tony, Dude I had it at 25, but wasn't as lucky, they took a testical and bombed me with radiation eveyday for 2 months. Other then endin me ever being a pop again, been clean ever sence. Makes me think at times the Big Guy knew it and mabey why we had the 2 girls so young in life.

As always, a great post Al. Had to have one myslef this past summer, colitis was the verdict. So easy dont even remember it....best sleep ive had in years... Hope to see you posting for many more to come. Thank you. Ambler, prayers for your family. Pray for miracles they happen all the time. DougM

RonT
AL, Hope everthing is going well for you now. Ambler, Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I also have had testiculiar cancer. Had the first opinion it was just an infection second doctor did a ultra sound and found it. Had the surgery to remove the right one in July 02. Blood work looked good till Nov.02. So on the 2nd. of Dec. I started chemothearpy That was not a lot of funB) ended treatment in Feb.03. Since then all of the blood work has been good I still wait for that phonecall after I do blood work. I will say that Lance Armstrong is definatly a big insperation for me. I guess what I'm saying is if something doesn't feel right get it checked the sooner the better.

surviver2003
Had the same as Al. Annual physical, PSA of 4.3, went to urologist, absolutely no symtoms but biopsy my option, said any question lets do it, came back positive Dec. 24 2002. Bone scan negative. Had a radical prostatectomy on Feb. 3, 2003. Cancer was just about to break through the lining of the prostate gland. took a few swollen lymph glands also, but they came back negative (thank God). Had Kent change my handle to Surviver2003. Bottom line guys, and you gals also, get an occasional physical and blood work. If theres any question, don't hesitate. Hope everyone has a happy and healthy holiday season. Bob

JimH
Al, thank's for sharing your success story. I am a firm believer in yearly physicals. I encourage friends and relatives who are in there late forty's and early fifty's to do the same. Also to keep a watch on the blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Jim......

Al
Hi, I think I can speak for all of that have spoken here. Myself, I have been blessed and or lucky. I am sure all of us feel if we can just help or persuade someone to take a step to protect themselves our own experiences have been even more valuable to us. Our thoughts go out to all that we are aware of that have some of the more challenging experiences in life. Also to those we aren't aware of. Thanks for all of the comments. Al

JimDk
Al, Thanks for starting this thread.Good luck to you and all the other survivor members of this great club. I am a survivor also. I lost a kidney to transitional cell carcinoma in 2002. After four months of chemo I am doing ok. Like Ron, I always wait for the phone call after tests. I would advise everyone to include a urinalysis with your physical exam checking for unexplained bleeding. Also,a sudden rise in blood pressure or severe headaches can be a symptom. Stay healthy and keep those old tractors going. Jim

pofarm
I'm 44 and just had my first PSA done, along with full blood work. My employer sponsered a health fair and it cost us only $10.00 to do. I haven't had any kind of physical in over 15 years, so I figured it was time. Everything came back normal on my tests. My PSA was only .5. They don't push a colon cancer test until you are mid 50's, but I'm getting one done anyway. Both my parents died of cancer, as well as some aunts and uncles, so I guess I need to keep an eye on things. I will go to the health fairs every year from now on.

BigSix
Al: Thank you for your excellent contribution. I'm "only" 42, but it's been on my mind. My radically-indifferent health carrier (EMPIRE BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD "Managed Care"!!!) won't pay for a prostate exam until I'm 50, but perhaps I won't wait. Thanks again your courageous example of the verb form of "community"--it's certainly welcome as we go into the holidays in the current, trying times. You are the epitomy of a class act, IMHO. And I'm delighted to learn of your full recovery--congratulations! Peter

Salthart
Al, I for one am very glad your around to post. That goes for the rest of you as well. Its been 14 months from the time dad was found to have cancer. We were told he would not make it from the first. Every second he lives is a gift IMO. And I get to spend next week-end with him !