Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Newest Addition

rocko

This is my 97 Sovereign I picked up from my local dealer Tuesday. I would like to use the 38" HD tiller from my 7016H with it. The rear lift and idler I removed from the 7016 seemed to hook right up but I believe I need to replace the lift cable as it is non adjustable. When I installed the idler assembly the belt appears to rub against the hydro filter. Does anybody have pic of a setup similar to this I could use as a reference? Do you think I need a different idler assembly? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks , Mark

Mark, the should make you a good tractor for many years. I cannot help you with the set up for your tiller. I am sure someone will. My question would be, does Sim have a rear pto for the sov. that will run your tiller. I bet the answer is yes.

There is an additional idler pulley and bracket to guide the belt away from the filter on tractors with the side mounted filter. Have seen it pictured here several times, but can't seem to find it now. Pat

This may be what Pat is talking about. I say "may" because mine is a 36" tiller, not a 38" and don't know if the setups are the same. Last time I priced the kit (bracket and idler) it was around $30 new from the dealer. It keeps the belt from rubbing the hydro filter on tractors with side mount filters. It is not necessary on Vickers machines, sundstrand bottom mount filters or any of the gear drive tractors. Brent

Rocko i have the same set up as you, i can take a pic of just wheere it mounts ect. Other than that the pic maynard posted of the kitis what it looks like, the hardest part about installing that kit is just going to pick it up, as for ease it is pretty simple. One thing i vaguely rember(and maynard or sombody may be abel to say for sure) is that these new sovereigns with the cable lift had a special pulley/installation specifically for those who use a heavy duty tiller. It may be just where the cable attaches but i rember somthing about the HD tiller requioring a different installation meathd. Seing as how you bought it used the previous owner may have had it set up for the "light duty" tiller. The machine looks sweet, I notice the spinner knob, does the machine have P/S, how much was it if you dont mind me asking? Mine was new old stock and it ran me 6,300. take care and good luck john b

Thank you all for your input. I've got the kit coming. Btw, do you guys think the 38"HD tiller will abuse this sovereign, it's really really heavy. Mark John, the tractor has power steering, 388 hours on it, and I gave $2,100 for it including tax. Mark

These pictures might answer your question. No problems on the HB-116. Of course this is a custom tractor built by SmilinSam. 16hp briggs, Sundstrand hydro htdro lift. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dlcentral/Dsc00102.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/Im000550.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/maynard_tiller.jpg[/img]

Mark, I don't think the 38" tiller will be too much for your tractor. Abuse is usually the result of actions by the operator. However, those 38" tillers are so damn heavy they can be a chore to mount and remove. Why not leave it on your 7016? Considering what many of us spend on tractor reconditioning, I believe late model used Sovereigns are one of the better values available.

I have no problem mounting it on the tractor. Back up to it, put the lift arm in, swing the drawbar up, install the pins, takes me less than 5 min. It takes longer to install the belt around the drive pully than to hitch it to the tractor. The 38"hd tiller is rubber mounted so it takes some of the transmitted shock away from the tractor and the heavy weight helps with that to.