Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Headlight Brackets

mowerman1193

I would like to put headlights on my Broadmoor 728 for blowing snow this winter..My wife bought me some lights for my B-day but I need some brackets.The lights was supposed to be for my 717 but I think that project is on hold until at least after the first of the year.. I know there are some brackets on Ebay right now but I am not about to spend $30+ for $4 worth of steel...I did a search and found a original Simplicity drawing for headlight brackets for a 3212..My question is does anyone know if those light brackets are the same as the Broadmoors..All of the later B-series brackets look the same but I have never seen them in person...I want to try to make them as close to original as I can.. Thanks

I made some dies to make the brackets and have stamped out a set. I know they will fit the b-100 and b-200 and Simp. equivalent. Not sure about the 728 though. I could send you a set to try.

Wow Scott, I just used two lengthes of flat bar and bent them to proper angle. Drilled a few holes and presto "light brackets"! Elon.

I have both styles, the two piece for my 3012 and the one piece for the Big Ten. Repros of the two piece are easy to make. The one piece will be harder to bend and shape but since I have two B-10s and the Big Ten I guess I will have to try. Anyone have ideas or tips they'd like to share? Larry

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
I would like to put headlights on my Broadmoor 728 for blowing snow this winter..My wife bought me some lights for my B-day but I need some brackets.The lights was supposed to be for my 717 but I think that project is on hold until at least after the first of the year.. I know there are some brackets on Ebay right now but I am not about to spend $30+ for $4 worth of steel...I did a search and found a original Simplicity drawing for headlight brackets for a 3212..My question is does anyone know if those light brackets are the same as the Broadmoors..All of the later B-series brackets look the same but I have never seen them in person...I want to try to make them as close to original as I can.. Thanks
Hyperlink me to that drawing and I will compare to the brackets I have here as mine are off my 728, but I need them when and if I ever I put my hood and grill back on. Right now I have an 12HP on the tractor and didn't want to butcher up the hood, so I painted engine orange. Download 990454 manual and look at item 'B' 122194. That's your bracket. Two 1/4 X 1-1/2 X 8" flat will get you started. As you can see in the book fashioning them out shouldn't pose to be a problem. Mine is 3-3/4" from the grill side member to the center of the headlight mounting hole and you might have to go a little more, or maybe less, depending what type of light you have. The bracket mounting holes to the grll side member need a little more attention. The top mounting hole is 11/32" dia and the bottom hle is a 11/32" x 11/16 slot on a 1-1/2 " center line between the hlos so you can swivel and aim your light beam. Send me your E-mail address via PM and I'll send back a pic. I don't thinl AC bracket will do as I think they were one piece. BT

Dirtsaver, on my landloard I just ran a pice of flat bar staright across, with no bends. It clears the hood just fine. Elon

Bob, the drawing was in the achives in the message below... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19313&SearchTerms=light,,bracket

MM there was no file, just talk. BT
quote:
Bob, the drawing was in the achives in the message below... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19313&SearchTerms=light,,bracket

Thanks Elon. Did you have any problem with the exhaust clearance? That is my main concern since I'm making stacks for my B's. Larry

[quote]Originally posted by BLT
MM there was no file, just talk. BT Sorry I linked the wrong message...this should be the right one... [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19384&SearchTerms=light,,bracket[/url]

Elon, I made the dies because I wanted the brackets to be as close to original as possible, if I would have wanted a set or two I would have done what you said and bent them in a vise. Also the dies have repeatability that you can't very well get from hand bending. Next I will make dies for the curved hood B's.

quote:
[quote]Originally posted by BLT
MM there was no file, just talk. BT Sorry I linked the wrong message...this should be the right one... [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19384&SearchTerms=light,,bracket[/url]
MM that will work. The only differences is mine has a 11/32 X 11/16 slot in bottom hole and 1-1/4" wide flat stock rather then 1". Other then that go for it.

Larry"dirtsaver", here are a few pic's. It looks like it wwould cear. I guess we think alike. Next thing Im going to get is a stack!lol Elon