Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bowlec

ONAN .vs HONDA

bowlec
my 620 AC.has the origonal onan 19.5 hp engine. but it needs an overall if i do it right it will cost about $1000.00. i can put a new honda that will fit right in---i hope---i hope---i hope thay say it will anyway. for around $1600.00 and it is 24 hp what would you-all do? thanks TOM

dirtsaver
Tom from what I've seen the Honda will work circles around the Onan(keeping in mind Onans are just boat anchors IMHO). The Honda will start easier,run cooler and build more hp than any Onan I've seen yet. The only thing I'm not sure of is longevity. Ther other option is a Kohler Command25 or the new Briggs 24. Larry

DaleC
I've owned a tractor with the Briggs V-twin. It was a wonderful running tractor and the noise control was great. I can not help you on the Honda. Their motorbikes are superb. Their Cars have high ratings. I just agree with Larry that the ticket is still out on the longevity of their industrial engines.

JimH
Tom,Welcome to this great club. I too own an AC 620. I just finished the restoration on it this past July. The Onan did not need major work done on it, but there was enough else to be done. I like to bring my equipment back to the original configuration. I like originallity! My 620 will not be worked hard. I would consider what you are gona need to do with it and if a freshened up Onan will do it for you. My 2 cents. Good luck. Jim........

bowlec
jimH we have a 4 ac. lawn i also have a AC-BIG-TEN that i restored last year and a SIMP.7016H i to like yo keep it orgional but would like to restore it and use it;i thought i would put in a new HONDA and keep the ONAN if i ever wanted to restore it for show

fireballv8
How many worn out honda engines have you seen? Do you see any old yamahas, or suzukis out there. Robin, Honda, and Kawasaki are probably the best built, most efficient engines out there. Briggs and Kohler were late with OHV designs. The japanese had smog/efficiency concerns years before we did, thus their advanced designs. Before Mr. Honda (Shokuro, I think) allowed the first honda motorcycle to be sold in the US (1964??) he ordered that the powerplants be DURABLE enough to meet american market desires. The first road bike engine had to withstand running at wide open throttle, with no load for 24 hours without blowing up, that was about 6 thousand RPM.

badcars
juat my opinion, we had several onans on the job i was last on, very work sensitive, quit frankly they were junk. i fabbed up an adapter for the honda v twin. granted it only fit the miller welders but the difference was like night and day/ a little wiring and you had a machine that would last forever, they went to them on their genoratore and water pumps and had only a few engine failures. ie, rod hanging out of motor and two empty quart bottles next to it and cleanest oil you have ever seen in a motor but no one knows what happened. my opinion if you want ti to last you want it honda!! badcars

DaleC
I don't want to start an engine brawl, but I am sold on the briggs engines. However, I still would keep the onan. Why give yourself all that expense and downtime. If you keep it serviced and maintained, that onan, once rebuilt, will provide you with years of use, probably longer than you will ever need it. Abuse it and loose it. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

fireballv8
Due to the fact that Onans (and to some extent, Kohlers) are almost and exclusive for RVs, the parts are HIGH. I have gotten good service out of Briggs engines, but the honda doesn't cost that much more than the briggs when new. My solution to this problem was to always use the motor I could get my hands on,,,,CHEAP. That pretty much throws out the Onan. They are notorious for blowing up on welders. Briggs engines are like hondas in a way, how many REALLY OLD Tecumsehs do you see? NONE.. they are like yamahas. I did have one on a 3 wheeler me and my dad built and it ran reliably for a long, abusive time. It was about a 1970 model 10 horse, all cast iron. The recoil starter was awful, but the engine was great, it had electronic ignition which i had to replace because I dropped a bolt that stuck to the magnets inside the flywheel and ripped the trigger coil up. Anyway, the briggs on my Big Ten is a 1966 original, and it shows no wear, obviously someone took care of it. It is loud, and sucks fuel. The OHV motors are much quieter and efficient.

cuda70
tom i put a briggs 23hp in my 620 a yr ago and its a perfect machine no problems and it only took less than 4hrs to install.everyone with the hondas say that the trans oil heats up.but mine stays at less than 125degrees all the time. well thats my 2cents worth

DaleC
You don't see an old honda engine because they don't have the service record, I.E., they haven't been making the kind of engines that we are looking for long enough for us to know if they can last forever like the Cast Briggs. Did you know that there is a 10 and a 16 hp big briggs for sale at small engine warehouse? Amazing to me. I would love to buy one of each. Actually, two of the 16s would do.