Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BIG-TEN.chrome

bowlec

Me too Tom. I have two B-10s and a Big Ten and only one piece can be used. The others are pretty darn rusty. I've been thinking of forming up some from 1/8" stainless steel plate. May look a little odd but I think it would pass. Larry

Larry, what I've gone to doing for my rusted chrome is wire brush it shinny with a soft brush in the drill or bench grinder, them I spray it with clear coat. Surprized at how good it looks for cheap..MPH

Actually polished stinless looks real good, you can hardly tell it from the chrome. It will last a life time also. Its alittle hard to cut but any sheetmetal shop will let you bend it up.

How hard would it be to put chrome vinyl on it??I was thinking about doing this with my lift handle on my Broadmoor until I found a nice one..Of course you would have a seam on it bit make it so its on the back side then it wouldn't be seen...Seems like that would be about the easiest and cheapest way to go...

quote:
Originally posted by JCS
What is CHROME VINAL?
Auto pin striping and most graphics on autos,vans,police cars, ect are made of a vinyl material...it comes in all different colors and in chrome gold ect..Alot of the repro decals for these tractors are made of vinyl as well...Dont confuse it with chrome tape, as the vinyl is alot more durable out in the weather...You can buy it at most any sign shop and they can custom cut it to any size you need..

I have the same problem as you stated with it rusting, and over-all not looking too good. To fix this I am going to fabricate 2 new uprights. I am sending them out to be chrome plated. When they come back I will re-weld them into place. It is a bit more work but the job is done right. This is for a Landlord 101 that I am doing a restoration on. Good luck to you. Ryan

I have used a 'peel and stick' thin-guage stainless steel product for dressing up weathered auto trim. I have bought it from JC Whitney's catalog, but I'm sure it would be available at AutoZone or Pep Boys auto accessories stores. It would need to be trimmed to the correct size, but these new adhesives really stick well. The prices are very reasonable. Tacey