Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
lndscpr

What good is a sickle bar mower

lndscpr
Hi, What are the advantages of a sickle bar mower. What are the advantages and disadvantages compared to a rotary mower. I was thinking that it would help me with mowing some rough areas and slopes jugding by pictures of them. thanks, John

dirtsaver
John being farm raised and still living in a farming area, I can say you are correct in part. (1)A sickle mower is great for banks you can't drive on. One pass from below and one from above and the weedwacked gets a lot less use. (2)A sickle mower excells in tall grass and weeds. Where a regular mower deck would clump up and bog down, a sickle will cut grass off at ground level and lay it down behind the blade. That's why we use them to mow hay fields. (3) I don't reccomend them for "rough" areas if that includes rocks,stumps or extremely rough ground but if you can drive your tractor safely over it a sickle should do fine. Luck to you! Larry

dhardin
If you ever really need to start a new lawn, a big one. I had my best luck in a hot dry year when everyone could on get grass to start. And a sickle mower is a important part. Drill in a good Oat seed and then broadcast the grass seed along with the oats. Very little rain brought up the oats, shaded the grass seed and Bingo in 8 to 10 week I used a sickle mower to cut the oats and to the amazment of all that had tried befor me, there was the best new grassy lawn in town.

MPH
dhardin, thought I was the only one who seeded grass like that, except I use Barley. Besides for the help from shading I find it also keeps the grass seed from blowing or washing away. I let the barley get about an inch high before I seed the grass..MPH

DaleC
Annual Rye is a good grass to sow with yard grass for all the same reasons. It also can be mowed and give the yard good appearance till the new "real" grass gets a good start. Sickle mowers are great for triming tall grass and weeds. I have mowed more acres with a sickle mower than with anything else. I would love to have one to use here on the Farm.

lndscpr
Thanks guys, I have an embankment where I could use one. Grass gets long there and is too much work with push mower or weedwacker. Too dangerous with tractor. Sounds like a sickle mower would do the trick. I was thinking of buyin one but will be putting that purchase of for some time. I have to buy some gear for work instead.

Agricola
I use Millet as my covercrop for grass. I think I will have to try oats one of these times. I like the Sickle I have on my 700 for doing the banks along the highway. Like mentioned before one cut from the top and one from the bottom and it is done. The Haban are nice due to the way the pitman arm works. I had an larger sickle that would not let me get the angles I needed to do the banks without breaking my pitman.