Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord gas tank???

AC808

This pic is of the fuel tank thats in my recetnly acquired landlord 101. It doesnt fit correctly as the filler hole is too far towards the steering wheel. Any ideas what this could be from?? 73 jay

Hello Jay, I dont think that is a stock tank for a Landlord 101 of that year. From time to time I have seen them on e-bay for sale. Nice looking landlord. :) Ryan

Don't know what it is from but know it's not right. Keep an eye on e-bay or post a wanted add here, you'll find one.

Jay,that gas tank looks like it came out of a Massey Ferguson [MF7 or MF8]tractor or a Tecumseh engine.[:0] Karl

I dersperatly need of a gas for my 101 as well. I was on serffin the web last night and came across a site of a guy discribing how to build a gas tank for a home made motor bike. It was very inspiering to me. After sleeping on it last night i feel i can make my own tank for my Landlord. I buy a lot of new steel form a local Iron supplyer and can get a good grade steel very resonable. Build a form to curve the sides to, build a wooder press form to mold the end caps to. The big reveilation that can to me in my sleep was the filler hole. Ahaa, i have mine in good shape. Ill cut it off the old tank and swet it to the new body, in just the right spot. My old tank looks good on the top but u can see your feet though the bottom. I can not see that much expence in materials, gas for the torch, soider, and pant can't run me that much. Just a lot of time to get the first one. Any club member wanting one (after i prove to myself it will hold gas and fit, and look very close to original} ill take a pic and make it abvalabe to all. For a hole lot lets than $100. I think i can, I think i can, i think i can. Ok Im going to get the wooden forms started today.

quote:
Originally posted by dhardin
My old tank looks good on the top but u can see your feet though the bottom.
I have one that was repaired by puitting layers of fiberglass (real fiberglass cloth and resin -- not "Bondo")-- on the bottom and up the sides.... Seems to be holding up so far, after about 3 years or so.... Back to the original question. I have an early-70's Gilson with a 15HP Briggs and has a gas tank in it that looks like that one...

quote:
Originally posted by dhardin
My old tank looks good on the top but u can see your feet though the bottom.
We had a tank on a John Deere L that had almost half of the bottom missing. We repaired it as Kent described, It has been holding for 20 years...

Yes all i will need is the old tank to use the filler only. A new shut off will not brack the bank yet. Now I got my tank in hand, I can figure out how to put the dent in the side of the tank where the hood bolt enters inside the hood, this will be a peace of cake.

Hi Guys, You may also find that the 6hp Tecumseh fuel tanks on the old Troy Bilt tillers are very close duplicates of the Simplicity fuel tanks .....the filler hole is at one end of the tank ,you may need to drill a larger or different hole for the shut-off in the tank support of the tractor ....I just got one from my manager that was headed to the dump ,I was at the correct place at the right time ....i'll post a pic of it if you guys want/need to see it ! See ya Jim

A word of caution. Be very careful when cutting the old tank. Even steam cleaned tanks have been known to EXPLODE. I would hate to read a post where someone was injured. You can throw a lighted match into an open container of gas and it will put the match out. Drop it into a closed container and it will explode because of the contained fumes. Please do not try this experiment. Even sparks from power tools can cause the detonation.

The Troubuilt tanks look to be the same, but when I tried to put one in my B-112 it was just a little long to get in. Think it may work if put in early during assembley, with a new hole drilled for the gas line.. MPH

I got this one out tonight...and it has 4 threaded studs on the bottom... I guess that as long as i know its not a S/AC item itll go in the parts pile... 73 jay