Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repowered GTHL finally done! (w/pics)

PhanDad

Well it took much more calendar time than it should have, but I finally completed installing the 16 Hp Briggs in the Sovereign 17GTHL I picked up at the end of August. (KT17 engine was blown) Some pics:

I couldn't use much of the original wiring harness, so I ran all new wire as required. And, as you can see, I also added a new style electric PTO for driving the Simplicity snowthrower I had mounted on my Homelite T-12. I tip I picked up here was to check the bolts from the front frame to the BGB for tightness - 3 of the four were loose. I appreciate the tip, without it, I probably wouldn't have checked.

That thing should be a brute in comparison to the twin... I can't believe how much torque these 16Hp singles put out... Nice tractor!!!!

Nice tractor!! In your 3rd picture I can see a shroud over the driveshaft coupling. Is that a late model safety improvement? Does anyone know if there is an after market safety kit to do that?? Dan

Nice Looking Tractor,As everyone has said it looks factory to me also.You spent some time putting together to look that good. I like to see people take time when they do projects like yours and come out with professional looking factory tractors.

Bill all I can say is.......WOW! That's a primo machine. And you've given me something eles to look for> a cast iron 16 to rebuild and have spare in case the KT17 goes south in my GTH-L. Great work Bill, areal classy job! Larry