Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FUEL PUMPS for Kohlers

IronPony

I have three K series Kohler engines, 12, 14, 16hp. Two have a fuel pump and one does not. From past posts on this site, I understand that these motors will run just fine without a fuel pump. My questions: 1. Why have a fuel pump in the first place?? 2. How often does a Kohler fuel pump fail? (what is there life span in years? Dan

The fuel pump is needed because the bottom 1/4 or less of the fuel tank is below the carb level. Your engine will run fine without a pump, but it will not empty the tank. As to how long the pump will last, I don't know. I have been repairing for nearly 20 years, and have only seen four failures that I can recall. Pat

I had a failure on my K321 metal fuel pump. It must have had a pin hole in the rubber. It would run good til the engine heated up and then it would just die. The older metal ones are supposedly more prone to failure because they hold the engine heat. The plastic ones are advertised as being better heat insulators. I replaced mine with the new plastic one and it was cured.

Thanks for the replys. Looks like failures are few and far between and that replacements are available. What do new pumps cost? Dan

Dan, I recall mine costing 35ish. Check this link, they seem to be a bit less expensive. In particular look at #47-559-04. [url]http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/catalog/kohler/accessories/fuel/pumps/[/url]