Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tractors and the music-pics

andy gartner

coming back from Ray's farm, John Denver and I, were humming down a 'country road,' look'in for a tractor. Maybe if John had been into tractors instead of hang gliders, he'd be singing on the radio now, instead of in my head, about a 'country road, and 'take me back...' then dead ahead, near the side of the road, there she was, another 'time capsule' so many of us associate with memories of fun, or pain, and loved ones, friends and moments in our lives. like the music we remember, these tractors remind us, and maybe that's why we like them so much. her owner, a Vietnam Vet and I, reminished as we walked around the tractor, and oldies music from some radio station, floated through our heads. 'time in a bottle'...this tractor. an early 50's 'Lawnall,' with a Wisconsin engine, 14" tires, and memorable grill with cutouts, like a pinwheel. Five implements, including a mower deck. Reduced for winter sale, but firm at $500. all the way back, I sang that, 'if I could save time in a bottle,' song by Jim Croce, who died young, in a plane crash too, but left us a pretty good tune, that like that old tractor, lives on. night was falling, and Christmas lites already glowing, as I made my way back home, reflecting about this last year, that Lawnall tractor and Jim's song... "I've looked around enough to know, that you're the one I want to go through time with..." and while I knew, she wasn't for me, I knew she'd make a fine Christmas present for someone out there. from all the andy's, to you and yours, have a healthy new year and merry Christmas.

:DAnd just how long have you been working for Hallmark?:D Thanks for thoes wonderful pros. A very Mery Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours. I'll tag on here and send this greeting all the club members both dues paying, non-dues paying and visitors to this site. Dan

Thanks to all the Andy's that collaborated on this artful prose. This fellow really enjoyed the trip with you.... or y'all. From me and mine to everyone else... Merry Christmas and may all your "wishes come true".

Thanks All! For taking the time, for your best wishes and appreciation. Below are some pics of the "Lawn All' tractor, made in Johnstown, Pa. Which on 2nd glance looks interesting. Fairbanks Morse magneto on the Wisc. Looks like a Pond or early Economy/Pk, stocky frame, has a drive shaft, all gear drive, indiv outboard brakes.

On the chick-eating-food-chain, one won't be collecting chicks like a Simplicity, but this tractor is unusual. Any History info PA folks?

Looks heavy from here..... and im certain if John Denver wouldve been into tractors hed have written....thank god im a wonderboy....:p